Affiliate Disclosure:This Old House’s Reviews Team is committed to delivering honest, objective, and independent reviews on home products and services. To support this business model, This Old House may be compensated if you purchase through links on our website.
The best homeowners insurance companies in San Antonio provide comprehensive coverage, a range of add-on endorsements for customization, and affordable rates to their customers. However, there are key differences between each company, and what might be right for one homeowner may not be ideal for another.
Finding the best home insurance requires research. There are many companies, but they can differ greatly in terms of coverage, cost, and customer service quality. Keep reading to learn about the top homeowners insurance companies in San Antonio.
San Antonio’s Top 4 Homeowners Insurance Companies
The highest-rated homeowners insurance companies in San Antonio include:
- Lemonade: Easiest Sign-Up
- Allstate: Best Coverage Options
- Travelers: Most Experience
- Amica®: Best Customer Service
- J.D. Power Rating: N/A
- A.M. Best Rating: N/A
Lemonade is a newcomer on the home insurance scene, offering a technology-forward approach to customer service and claims. Homeowners can upload a video explaining their claim directly to the app, and a third of claims are handled instantly. Lemonade is a peer-to-peer provider that donates all leftover pooled premium money at the end of the year to charity.
Pros and Cons of Lemonade Home Insurance
✔ Convenient mobile app
✔ Almost a third of claims handled instantly
✔ Charitable Giveback program
✘ Not available nationwide
Lemonade offers a few discounts to help reduce the cost of home insurance:
- Fire protection
- Protective devices
- Gated community
Lemonade offers a variety of optional add-on protections.
- Scheduled personal property: Covers the cost to replace damaged or stolen valuable items like jewelry, art, and furs
- Home business: Covers equipment necessary to operate a business out of the home
- Earthquake: Covers the cost of repairing and rebuilding structures after damage from an earthquake
- Sewer backup: Covers cost of damage to home after sewer backup
Learn More: Lemonade Home Insurance Review
- J.D. Power Rating: 829/1000
- A.M. Best Rating: A+
Allstate, the second-largest homeowners insurance company in the country, has a strong reputation and solid financial backing. We have ranked Allstate the best overall because of its extensive coverage, combining both standard protections and endorsements, including identity theft protection and electronic data recovery. Allstate is also very accessible to customers, with a 24/7 call center available for any insurance questions—not just limited to filing claims.
Pros and Cons of Allstate Home Insurance
✔ Second-largest homeowners insurance provider in the U.S.
✔ 24/7 customer service for all insurance questions
✔ Many endorsement options to customize your policy
✘ Average customer satisfaction ratings
Allstate offers a variety of discounts to help you lower the cost of your monthly premium:
- Early signing
- Home alarm
- Storm shutter
- Easy Pay Plan
- Age 55 and retired
- Welcome and loyalty
Homeowners insurance add-on coverages may differ depending on the state, so you should check your personalized quote to confirm which ones are available in your area.
- Personal umbrella policy: Increases limits of personal liability coverage and adds coverage for lost wages and legal fees
- Earthquake: Covers repairs or replacement of your home after an earthquake
- Flood: Covers repair or replacement of your home in the event of a flood (required for homeowners in certain locations)
- Water backup: Covers water damage caused by clogged drains or sump pump failure
- Scheduled personal property: Covers valuable personal belongings, including jewelry, antiques, and more
- Business property: Covers computers and other home office equipment or equipment from a small business run out of the home
- Sports equipment: Covers golf clubs, skis, bicycles, and other sports equipment
- Identity theft protection: Covers legal fees and others costs associated with identity theft or fraud
- Green improvement reimbursement: Increases coverage to upgrade appliances with more energy-efficient uses after a loss
- Electronic data recovery: Covers costs from recovering lost computer data
- Yard and garden: Covers trees, landscaping, and ornamental plantings or adds coverage for lawn equipment
- Musical instruments: Covers valuable musical instruments
Learn More: Allstate Home Insurance Review
- J.D. Power Rating: 800/1000
- A.M. Best Rating: A++
With more than 160 years of experience under its belt, Travelers homeowners insurance has a proven track record for reliability across the country. Travelers offers a wide range of endorsements, including some less common options like Green Home. This endorsement helps you rebuild your home with eco-friendly materials in the event of a covered disaster to make it more environmentally friendly.
Pros and Cons of Travelers Home Insurance
✔ More than 160 years of experience
✔ Less common endorsements, including Green home
✔ Available nationwide
✘ Poor reviews for mobile app
✘ Few discounts available comparatively
Travelers offers several discounts to help you reduce the cost of its home insurance:
- Protective device
- Green home
Travelers offers multiple add-on coverage options.
- Contents replacement cost: Pays to replace damaged or destroyed belongings at actual value, not factoring in depreciation
- Additional replacement cost: Adds an additional amount of up to 25% of your dwelling coverage if there is an increased cost to rebuild your home
- Personal articles floater: Provides coverage for specific, documented items
- Jewelry and valuable items: Additional coverage for valuable items like jewelry and fine art
- Green home: Helps pay to repair, replace, or rebuild your home with green materials after a covered loss
- Valuable Items Plus: Additional coverage for valuable items like jewelry, computers, and musical instruments
- Identity theft: Pays up to $25,000 for costs related to identity theft
- Water backup: Pays for damage to your home caused by sewer or drain backup and sump pump failure
Learn More: Travelers Home Insurance Review
- J.D. Power Rating: 854/1000
- A.M. Best Rating: A+
Amica is a top-rated company with high-quality customer service. The home insurance provider offers comprehensive coverage and a specialized program, Contractor Connection, that connects homeowners with vetted contractors within 24 hours to work on your repairs. Customers are able to track the project’s progress online, and it comes with a five-year workmanship warranty. Amica offers very affordable rates.
Pros and Cons of Amica Home Insurance
✔ Extensive coverage
✔ Affordable rates
✔ Contractor Connection
✘ Not available in Alaska, Florida, and Hawaii
✘ Does not use local agents
Amica offers a range of discounts:
- Alarm system
- Automatic detection devices
- New and remodeled homes
Amica offers a range of optional add-on protections.
- Personal property replacement: Fully covers the replacement cost for stolen or damaged items, instead of depreciated value
- Scheduled personal property: Offers more extensive protection for valuable items like jewelry or antiques
- Automatic dwelling coverage increase: Increases coverage limits when the cost to rebuild your home exceeds what your underlying policy allows
- Credit card: Covers up to $5,000 if your card is used fraudulently
- Water backup/sump pump failure: Covers damage from water backup and sump pump failure
- Computer: Covers computers, tablets, smart televisions, and smartphones
- Catastrophic: Covers damage due to earthquakes and floods
- Liability and medical payment: Increases liability coverage for legal fees and medical expenses
Learn More: Amica Home Insurance Review
Comparing the Top Providers of Homeowners Insurance in San Antonio
See how the top home insurance companies in San Antonio stack up on key metrics.
*Cost may be calculated for homes of slightly varying values
Most home insurance companies provide the following six basic forms of protection—dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use/additional living expenses, personal liability, and medical payments to others. Each of our top picks offers these standard coverages. You can find a breakdown below.
|Dwelling + other structures||Covers the cost of repairing or replacing the home’s interior and exterior, in addition to any other structures on the property|
|Personal property||Covers the replacement of personal possessions, including clothing, electronics, and furniture|
|Personal liability||Covers attorney fees, court fees, and any damages resulting from someone being injured on your property|
|Loss of use/additional living expenses||Covers living expenses like dining and accommodations if your home is temporarily uninhabitable due to covered damage or destruction|
|Medical payments to guests||Covers the medical expenses if someone is injured in your home|
We selected each of our top four recommendations because they set themselves apart with impressive features. Allstate is the best overall with a variety of customization options and a 24/7 customer service center. Travelers is one of the most experienced companies in the home insurance business, with a proven track record and eco-friendly Green Build endorsement. Amica offers top-notch customer service with its Contractor Connection program, and Lemonade excels with forward-thinking technology.
When evaluating home insurance providers, it’s always a good idea to get quotes from multiple companies so you can find the right policy for your needs:
San Antonio Home Insurance FAQs
How much is homeowners insurance in San Antonio?
The amount you pay for homeowners insurance in San Antonio will depend on a variety of factors, ranging from the age of your home and the materials it was constructed with to the deductible you select.
What is the average cost of homeowners insurance in Texas?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in Texas is $3,429 per year, according to Insurance.com. This amount ranks Texas as the fifth-most expensive state in the U.S. for home insurance.
Who has the best homeowners insurance in Texas?
We have found that Lemonade has the best overall homeowners insurance in Texas, followed closely by Allstate, Travelers, and Amica.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations.
With that in mind, we created an objective rating system to score each home insurance company. Here’s what that review process looked like:
- We analyze the information on each company’s website. This allows us to determine what products and services are offered by each home insurance provider.
- We get a sample quote from the companies by either talking to a sales representative or by using the online quote tool. This tells us what a policy looks like and costs.
- We test customer service by talking to a company representative, finding out their hours of operation, and determining what technological features are available for customers.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home insurance companies against each other.
With this data, we created a rating methodology to score each home insurance company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale based on the following factors:
- Coverage (30): We rated home insurance companies higher if they offered the six main types of homeowner protection—dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability, and medical payments to others coverage.
- State availability (7.5): Companies scored higher if they covered more states than their competitors.
- Customer service (15): This factor is based on our communications with the company representatives, as well as the companies’ claims and quotes processes, availability throughout the week, and customer service information found on their websites.
- Technology (12.5): Technology can increase the efficiency of filing and tracking home insurance claims. Companies scored higher if they had technology options like mobile apps and online chat functions.
- Reputation (20): We gauged trustworthiness based on years of experience and Better Business Bureau ratings.
- Additional benefits (15): Companies that offered optional features, like discounts and endorsements, scored higher than competitors that didn’t.
The This Old House Reviews Team has a full-time researcher who collects and regularly updates data points from every company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, service, and dependability.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.