A home warranty allows you to enjoy your home without worrying about unexpected breakdowns and the associated repair or replacement costs. In exchange for a monthly or annual premium and a small service fee, your provider will handle repairs and replacements for covered items in your contract.
The This Old House Reviews Team has compiled information on the best home warranty companies in Minnesota, comparing plans, pricing, and customer reviews, to help make choosing a provider easier for you. Keep reading to learn more.
Minnesota’s Top 5 Home Warranty Companies
The best home warranty companies in Minnesota provide comprehensive coverage, offer affordable payment options, and have excellent customer service teams to field service requests 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The highest rated home warranty companies in MN include:
- American Home Shield: Best Overall
- Choice Home Warranty: Best Basic Plan
- Liberty Home Guard: Most Responsive
- Select Home Warranty: Best Value
- Complete Care Home Warranty: Lowest Service Call Fee
Here’s more detail on our top picks for Minnesota homeowners.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) is the leading home warranty provider for MN residents, with over 45 years of industry experience. AHS has double the number of plans as the other two providers in this review, which gives customers a wide range of coverage options to choose from.
Plans Offered by American Home Shield
Here are the different plans offered by American Home Shield:
- ShieldSilver™—Covers home systems, such as your electrical and plumbing system
- ShieldGold™—Covers all of the ShieldSilver plan and adds protection for kitchen and laundry appliances
- ShieldPlatinum™—Protects all 23 items covered by the ShieldGold plan and adds roof leak coverage and increases coverage caps
When signing up for an American Home Shield plan, you’ll choose a service fee of $75, $100, or $125. The lower the service fee you select, the higher your monthly premium. Here’s a breakdown of AHS plan pricing:
Pricing of American Home Shield
|Plan||$75 Service Fee||$100 Service Fee||$125 Service Fee|
|Plan||$75 Service Fee||$100 Service Fee||$125 Service Fee|
|ShieldSilver™||$54.99 per month||$44.99 per month||$39.99 per month|
|ShieldGold™||$64.99 per month||$54.99 per month||$49.99 per month|
|ShieldPlatinum™||$79.99 per month||$69.99 per month||$64.99 per month|
American Home Shield offers several benefits to customers:
- Covers 49 states, excluding Alaska
- No limit on the number of repairs allowed during the contract period
- 30-day workmanship guarantee
- High coverage caps for home appliances and systems
Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty (CHW) is one of the most affordable home warranty companies available and has cheap monthly premiums and service fees. This makes it an ideal pick for people who are on a budget.
Plans Offered by Choice Home Warranty
Here are the different plans offered by Choice Home Warranty:
- Basic Plan—Covers 14 major home components like the heating, electrical, plumbing, and dishwasher
- Total Plan—Covers everything under the Basic Plan and provides protection for your air conditioning, refrigerator, clothes washer, and dryer
Pricing of Choice Home Warranty
The Basic Plan costs $36.17 per month, while the Total Plan costs $43.85 per month. In addition to paying this monthly premium, customers will have to pay $60–$85 for each service call.
Choice Home Warranty offers the following benefits to customers:
- Guaranteed response time within 48 hours of filing a claim
- 90-day repair guarantee
- Add-on coverage for roof leaks
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard is a great choice for homeowners in search of a responsive claims process, accessible customer service, and extensive add-on coverage options.
Plans Offered by Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard offers three standard plan options. The details of each are outlined below:
- Appliance Guard: Covers your laundry machines, refrigerator, cooktop, range/oven/stove, and seven other appliances
- Systems Guard: Covers air conditioning, heating, ductwork, plumbing, electrical, and water heaters
- Total Home Guard: Covers everything outlined in the appliance and systems plans
The $80 service call fee will be charged per claim filed, though there may be discounts for multi-year plans. Here’s a breakdown of the monthly fee structure:
Pricing of Liberty Home Guard
|Total Home Guard||$54.99|
Liberty Home Guard extends the following benefits to its customers:
- Discounted service fees for multi-year plans
- 30 add-on options, including pest control
- Live chat customer support on the company website
Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is another attractive option for Minnesota homeowners who are both budget-conscious and concerned about possible roof leaks in the future. All of Select’s plans are under $50 in monthly fees and offer roof-leak coverage as a free add-on.
Plans Offered by Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty offers three plans. The two basic plans are available at the same price point, but they are exclusive to either systems or appliance coverage. The comprehensive plan covers both for a slightly higher price.
- Bronze Care: Covers eight appliances, including your cooktop, stove/oven, and garbage disposal
- Gold Care: Covers air conditioning, ductwork, electrical system, heating, plumbing system, and water heater
- Platinum Care: Covers all items covered by the two basic plans
Select Home Warranty’s service fee is $75, on par with the industry average. Here’s a breakdown of Select’s pricing structure:
Pricing of Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty offers several benefits to its customers including:
- Free roof-leak coverage
- All plans are under $50 in monthly fees
- Seasonal promotions and discounts available
Complete Care Home Warranty
Complete Care Home Warranty has been a top player in the home warranty industry since 2000. Complete Care offers three affordable plans at $50 or less, as well as a $49 service call fee, which is significantly lower than the industry average of $75.
Plans Offered by Complete Care Home Warranty
Complete Care offers three plans: systems-exclusive and appliance-exclusive plans and a comprehensive combination plan.
- Systems Plan: Covers your house’s built-in systems, including your air conditioning, heating system, plumbing system, electrical system, water heater, ductwork, and plumbing stoppages
- Appliances Plan: Covers appliances such as your laundry machines, a garage-door opener, built-in microwave ovens, and more
- Combo Plan: Covers all items in the basic packages
Review Complete Care’s average monthly costs in Minnesota.
Pricing of Complete Care Home Warranty
Complete Care Home Warranty offers additional benefits to its customers including:
- 90-day workmanship guarantee
- Inexpensive monthly costs and service fees below the industry average
- Availability in all 50 states
- Add-on coverage options for additional appliances, roof leaks, and lawn sprinkler systems
To request your free and personalized quote from Complete Care Home Warranty, fill out this simple form.
Whether you live in the Twin Cities or Coon Rapids, investing in a home warranty can protect you if a system or appliance unexpectedly breaks down. Before buying a MN home warranty, we recommend getting a quote from all three companies listed in this review so that you can compare price estimates and choose coverage that best fits within your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions About MN Home Warranties
How much does a Minnesota home warranty cost?
A Minnesota home warranty costs between $300–$600 per year and will depend on the level of coverage you select, the size of your home, and where you live. In addition to this premium, customers will pay a service call fee every time they file a claim. This deductible typically costs between $75–$125. Since pricing will vary by provider, we recommend getting quotes from several providers to see how your Minnesota home will affect the price.
Are home warranties worth the money?
Home warranties offer homeowners several benefits, but the biggest one is peace of mind. If a repair or replacement is needed, you won’t have to worry about paying expensive repair costs or finding a trusted service contractor to help you out—your home warranty provider will cover most of the cost and help you find a technician if you don’t have one on hand.
If you’re a real estate agent or home seller, you can also benefit from a home warranty. Purchasing a home warranty to include in the sale may give potential buyers extra incentive to choose your home over others on the market because they’re guaranteed protection on major systems and appliances.
Which home warranty company will provide roof leak coverage?
Some home warranty companies offer coverage on limited roof leaks. Two of the providers in this review—Choice Home Warranty and The Home Service Club—have a roof leak add-on.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.