In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey explains how to install a mini-split air conditioner.
1. Lay pad on ground, check for level, then set condenser unit on top of pad.
2. Use 1 ½-inch hole saw to drill hole through house for refrigerant line.
3. Feed refrigerant line through hole and into basement.
4. Open up wall in room where air conditioner will be located.
5. Run refrigerant line from condenser up to room.
6. Assemble PVC drain line and run it to room.
7. Pull electrical cable and low-voltage wire from condenser to room.
8. Screw metal mounting bracket to wall at manufacturer's recommended height.
9. Hang the air conditioner unit on the bracket.
10. Make final connections, including refrigerant line, PVC drain and electrical wires.
11. Install the air conditioner's cover.