In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook shares tips for maintaining lush and lively succulent plants, such as cacti.
- Line the bottom of a larger clay pot with clay-pot shards or clean stone.
- Fill the pot about halfway with cactus potting soil.
- Wrap the plant with newspaper to protect your hands, then carefully lift the plant out of its old container.
- Use your fingers to loosen the roots, then set the plant into the larger pot.
- Add more potting soil to fill within 1 inch of the top rim.
- Place a wooden or bamboo stake into the soil and tie off the plant for support.
- Cover the soil with loose gravel.
- Water thoroughly, then water very little during winter, and more often during summer.