In this video, This Old House host Kevin O'Connor explains how to install a gas fireplace.
1. Prepare installation site by building wall recess to accept fireplace.
2. Cut hole through exterior house wall and install stovepipe thimble.
3. Attach short section of stovepipe to exhaust port on rear of fireplace.
4. Apply construction adhesive to wall around sides and top of fireplace opening.
5. Press granite slabs into the adhesive around the fireplace opening.
6. Slide the fireplace into position, making sure the stovepipe passes through the thimble to the outdoors.
7. Seal exterior of exhaust pipe with termination hood.
8. Hire a licensed plumber make the gas connection to the fireplace.
9. Install the removable front to the fireplace.
10. Turn on the fireplace and test its operation.