I've seen a post similar to this, but not exactly what I'm experiencing.
When we return from vacation, after a week or two, our water is yellow to brown. It flushes out of the system after running water for 5-10 minutes, which I do from the first faucet entering the house. Here are some clues:
- I'm certain the discoloration is originating in the water softener. If I bypass the water softener, there is no discoloration when we return from vacation. As soon as I put the water softener back on-line, the discoloration appears until the system is flushed. (5-10 minutes, as mentioned above)
- The water softener is about 2 years old.
- The house was remodeled 2 years ago with completely new copper piping all the way to the street.
- We never see any discoloration when we're home and using water normally.
- I use KCl in the water softener. Not NaCl.
- The "before you call for service" section of the water softener's use guide has an entry for the yellow/brown water problem. It lists the possible cause as "unit was idle for a period of time". Bingo. The solution is to run their sanitation procedure. I did this. Three weeks later, after a 10-day vacation, the discolored water was back.