11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Re: Wiring pool pump in New York
Rpm90001 wrote:

I have a question on adding a new circuit for a above growing swimming pool. I just got my permit for installing the pool and got the ok with my plans. My issue is tryying to find straight answers on all the codes. My local permit office goes by the 2010 residential code of NYS, and I have a copy her but it does not answer some of my questions. The electrical inspection I will go through is very tough and want to get it right the first time. Here is a few questions I have, some general and some to do with code.

1) I will have a 85 foot run from box to pool pump. 25' in basement and 60' from basement wall to pump.
Do I need 10 g THHN/THWN wire or is it a bit over kill. 115v pump pulling 10 amps. Or is 12 ok with 20 amp GFCI

2). The pool pump will be a detected circuit, but need to add a separate convenience outlet 10 foot from the pool. Can I run both circuits through the same conduit and branch the convenience outlet line off to its location? Or will I have to have 2 separate lines. I would rather no have 2 LB fittings out the side of my house.

3) Any problem using NM wire through my basement and tying it in to THHN/THWN in the junction box before going outside the house in the conduit?

This is not a complicated project, I'm very capable of if the project...I'm just unclear on some code issues.

Any tips, or suggestions welcome.

I’m not familiar with NYS Codes, just 2011 NEC, but they’re probably very similar. I assume the pool is an inflatable type, since different rules apply.

1) I presume the 60’ run will be underground, so it should either be THWN, w/ GFCI protection either in the basement or at poolside, and in conduit buried at least 24” or UF buried at least 6” w/ GFCI protection in the basement. In both cases be sure to use copper wire w/ a ground.

Voltage drop should not be a problem if you have a full 120V in your house, so #12 wire is OK.

2) I assume the convenience outlet will be for a light load and is fine as long as the total load does not exceed 16A. You can however, run two dedicated circuits in the same conduit if you prefer. Remember the GFCI receptacles for both the pump and the convenience outlet must be listed as weather resistant (WR) and protected by an “in-use” cover and “weather proof” box. PVC would be good choices.

3) NM-B in the basement is fine before going outside.

Just to be sure, call the permit office before you start and run these plans by them. They will be glad you did, you will probably be able to talk to the person who will actually do the inspection and, everything will go much smoother.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
Maurice Turgeon, http://the semi-retiredelectrician.com

Rpm90001
Re: Wiring pool pump in New York

Thank you, the pool is not an inflatable type, and will need to be bonded. It's a 21 foot round above ground pool.

Everything you mentioned was already planned, but was good to have you mention it.

The 60' run out side and the 25' in side length I will use 12-2 THWN In conduit and NM-b in the basement
. At what length do I worry about voltage drop? Just incase I move pump to to the back of the pool. 115v pump 10 amp. Just curious..

I'm actually drawing up an actual plan and going to email it to the inspector. Thank you for the help.

Your response helped me greatly, clear and to the point. THANK YOU.

George

Re: Wiring pool pump in New York
Rpm90001 wrote:

Thank you, the pool is not an inflatable type, and will need to be bonded. It's a 21 foot round above ground pool.

Everything you mentioned was already planned, but was good to have you mention it.

The 60' run out side and the 25' in side length I will use 12-2 THWN In conduit and NM-b in the basement
. At what length do I worry about voltage drop? Just incase I move pump to to the back of the pool. 115v pump 10 amp. Just curious..

I'm actually drawing up an actual plan and going to email it to the inspector. Thank you for the help.

Your response helped me greatly, clear and to the point. THANK YOU.

George

George,you will only have 3.4V voltage drop in that 85' run (2.8%). Most inspectors prefer to keep it under 3%.

If you want to play it safe move up to #10 wire and you will only have 2.1V drop (1.8%).

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Rpm90001
Re: Wiring pool pump in New York

Thank you Maurice!

I have another question. Is there any restrictions to the location of a LB fitting that exits my basement and a gutter downspouts? The location I want the fitting will be 1-2 foot from a dowmspout. The downspouts actually dumps to the away from the fitting about 6 foot. do you know of any restrictions?

Thanks,

George

Re: Wiring pool pump in New York
Rpm90001 wrote:

Thank you Maurice!

I have another question. Is there any restrictions to the location of a LB fitting that exits my basement and a gutter downspouts? The location I want the fitting will be 1-2 foot from a dowmspout. The downspouts actually dumps to the away from the fitting about 6 foot. do you know of any restrictions?

Thanks,

George

George, the LB should be gasketed and weather-tite and there is no restriction as to where they're mounted. In fact the Code now considers all outside conduit and fittings to be "wet" locations.

This means the wire must have a "W" in it's designation and can be installed in a conduit full of water. Splices in fittings are permitted but must be water-proof.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Rpm90001
Re: Wiring pool pump in New York

Maurice,

just an update. passed my inspection, no issues. thank you for your help!

geo

Re: Wiring pool pump in New York

Glad to have helped Geo, stay cool!

Re: Wiring pool pump in New York

I have a problem with my florescent light because as I turn on the switch it wont turn on. I change the fuse but still not working. What's wrong with it?

Re: Wiring pool pump in New York
Moshei wrote:

I have a problem with my florescent light because as I turn on the switch it wont turn on. I change the fuse but still not working. What's wrong with it?

Moshei, the most common problem would be that the lamps need replacement. Next the ballast, then the end connectors (sometimes called "tombstones". The switch could be the problem, but it would be the least likely component to fail.

All of that assumes they worked OK, in the past and they have power.

Now all that said, if the lamps are 1 1/2" in diameter (T12) and the fixture has an old magnetic style ballast you might want to just buy a new fixture with 1" diameter (T8)lamps and an electronic ballast. The older components won't be available much longer.

TCampbell
Re: Wiring pool pump in New York
Moshei wrote:

I have a problem with my florescent light because as I turn on the switch it wont turn on. I change the fuse but still not working. What's wrong with it?

I am having the same issue with my florescent light... I changed the fuse and it is still not working. Wondering if it could be an issue with the switch itself? Were you able to figure this out? How did you solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.