5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Window Sill Help

Hi All,

Doing a DIY mini kitchen makeover and having trouble with our window sill. The bottom piece of the original window molding was rotting from water damage (From the faucet/sink spashes over time). I ripped it off and decided i'd like to replace it with a ledge and will tile underneath. i also ripped off the cove type molding on the interior of the sill to make room for the ledge.

The current sill is 4 inches deep, I'm looking to extend the ledge out by an inch. i bought a piece of ledge molding (not even sure if Im using the right terms here...) but it is only 2 inches deep leaving quite a gap between the ledge and the window. What are my options? My thought is to buy a piece of wood to fit in the gap and then use wood glue to adhere them together? Any easier/smarter solutions?

I took a picture and attempted to upload it but its not working for me.


Re: Window Sill Help

If you need 4" wide, why did you get a 2" wide? You can install a 2" filler, but it won't look as nice as one piece.

Check the stores again and get the right piece.

Re: Window Sill Help

Because i was careless and in a rush. I didn't realize the sill was that deep and was under the impression that it was a "standard" piece of molding. When I called to ask, they (HD) said that they don't have anything that comes in that depth.

Heading back now anyway because the underside of the molding that should slide/lock onto the sill is not cut at a 90 degree angle so even if I cut the ledge to fit, it would slant down once i installed it. Assuming that means I didn't really purchase ledge molding?

Re: Window Sill Help

It sounds to me like you bought a sill and what you need is a window stool.


Re: Window Sill Help

I use 2 windows in kitchen , now it's make real freshness by the natural air. I agree with the writer that windows is helpful yet. If you need real life carry then make your house with real windows.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.