4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Window edge add on

Hi we want to add and edge to our existing window frame (interior) to give it and new look but my concern what do I use to fill in the seam between the new piece being added and the existing window sile. This window has a lot of sun all the time and the product needs to be painted. Thanks for the help R+L

Re: Window edge add on

If you're going to paint then normal wood putty will fill the gap and if sanded properly won't be visible.

Re: Window edge add on

If you want a wider window sile why not remove the old one and install a new wider sile?

Re: Window edge add on

Remove old sill (called a stool) and replace with a wider one. The new one should go all the way to the bottom sash when closed for the best look. At the very least, you could end it at the frame of the window or the jamb extension. Mount it 1/16" - 1/8" below the frame or ext. This is called a reveal and will look better than en even butt joint.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.