I use natural gas in my house for heating, hot water, and for a fireplace. My house has heat and hot water but when I went to turn my fireplace on this year nothing happened when I turned on the gas. I could also see that the pilot light had gone out. I checked the instruction manual for my (Desa GA9050A-1 series) fireplace and it shows that the gas control knob should be able to be turned from 0 degrees to 180 degrees to let the gas in to light up the fireplace and that to turn the pilot light on you need to wait for any natural gas that is left to dissipate, then turn the knob 90 degrees, press it in for 5 seconds (or 30 when you first install it) and then, while holding it in to also press in on the igniter button. If it doesn't light up at first it says that you should keep pressing the igniter button. The first problem is that the knob only turns 90 degrees, not 180. I have been in the house for about 1.5 years and I know that the previous owner installed the fireplace, but it worked fine last year so I didn't know that it was supposed to turn 180 degrees. I tried lighting the pilot light using the instructions in the manual by turning the knob 45 degrees and also 90 degrees, but the pilot light never lights up. I can see a spark when I press the igniter button, but I never smell any natural gas. I checked the gas lines and all of the valves to the fireplace are set to allow gas to go to the fireplace. I also do not smell gas in any other parts of the house either. I do not know when the pilot light went out, but I know that it was on for all of last winter without any problems. I am something of a novice with home repair, but I do learn fast. Is there anything else that I can check or try, or is it time to call in a HVAC professional?