2 posts / 0 new
Last post
What sealant to use?

I am replacing a kitchen sink drain from a solid one piece counter/sink. What is the appropriate sealant to use where the metal drain and sink connect. My condo is new and I was told that using plumbers putty is not good for the solid counter/sink material. The drain was initially installed with plumbers putty that has turned black. After removing the putty from the drain and sink I do not see any damage.

C Ed Wright
Re: What sealant to use?

If there is some new material preferred by the sink/counter mfr. you'll have to find that out from them -- plumber's putty has always been right for this application (drain-to-sink).

I have seen black plumber's putty before, when/where the drain was not tight enough and water etc. got into the 'joint.' Plumber's putty is not actually supposed to be the seal, like caulking or a gasket, it's more like a backstop to a tight sink-to-drain fit.

But check with the sink mfr. because sometimes a new material raises new requirements for installation.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.