Home>Discussions>YARD & GARDEN>What the heck kind of bug is this?
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
What the heck kind of bug is this?

Does anyone know what kind of bug this is? Last summer I saw them on a window screen outside one of my upstairs windows, and just the other day I found them clustered on a tree leaf in my yard. They're creepy looking! (I live in North Carolina.)

Re: What the heck kind of bug is this?

Those resemble the young form of an insect we have here called the Box Elder Bug. We tend to find them covering the sunny sides of buildings and they also like to get into the house when the weather starts to turn cold.
We have done some research about them and have found some success with spraying them with a soap-water mixture (about 1/4 c. dish soap per gallon water applied with a spray bottle) This seems to kill the majority over time but we can never really get rid of them all. Good luck!

Re: What the heck kind of bug is this?

Leaf-footed Bug nymphs

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.