Home>Discussions>EXTERIORS>What do you call these?
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
What do you call these?

Can anyone tell me the technical term for the decorative, exposed joists/rafters protruding out from underneath the soffits and eaves of old Arts & Crafts homes? (rafter tails?)

Re: What do you call these?

there might be a technical name but i've always refered to them as "decorative rafter tails"

Re: What do you call these?

If you can post a link to a picture, that would help. But if you're referring to the brackets you see on the gable end, I think they're called corbels.

Re: What do you call these?

I tried to post pictures but since I am a new member, it won't let me.
I know what corbels are and that is not what I am referring to. Thanks though

Re: What do you call these?

In classical/ancient architecture, the decorated joist ends are called modillions. I don't know what the crafty types called theirs 100 years ago. my data extends back to 500 BC, but stops at 1900.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.