2 posts / 0 new
Last post
What are these walls made of?

Hey, guys. I've got a question about the interior walls for the house in which I live - I can't identify them, but I know it's not drywall or plaster.

This house is pretty old - I believe it was built in the 1950s? Maybe before. (I don't own the house, so I'm not sure.) The walls are kind of....soft to the touch, I suppose, and they feel hollow. They've been painted over, but there are deep vertical grooves every 12 inches or so, like some type of paneling.

I removed the switchplate for the light switch to see if I could figure out what it was, but I couldn't really tell - it seemed almost like some really soft chipboard or something. I can't tell, but I took some pictures and I was hoping that someone with expertise might be able to identify it.

They are here:


Can anyone tell what this is? This isn't like, MDF board or something, is it?

Edit: Or some other type of particleboard?


Re: What are these walls made of?

Sounds to be a fiberboard panel like Homasote.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.