Step by Step ProjectsTips from the ProsAffordable Remodels
My sister and her husband had this product installed a few months ago. She says she absolutely loves it. It also takes care of radon gas, which they had high levels of.
She said the musty smell in basement disappeared in a couple of days and also said that there was not as much dust in their home.
I am allergic to mold and dust, I recently was informed by Dr.
I have also used the home DIY kits to test for mold from heat and A/C vents.
The first test I did in bathroom right on thr floor by vent. It grew some green stuff which the lab said was common, but it also had some white stuff which began as a slow grower but then proceeded to grow over the green mold. The lab said they could not identify it but it was known as White Sterile Mold. Anyone familiar with this?
We also have white mold growing on wood floors in dining room. There are two heat vents located by the door n the floor. My husband thought something was spilled but I knew better. So I did another home DIY mold kit on these vents and what is in them looks like the spots all over our floor. This does not wash up either. The only thing I did find that put a halt to it growing and lessened the whiteness was Palmer's Olive Oil Formula for hair. When I realized this helped I then tried our cooking extra virgin olive oil. It did not do a thing.
I had tried Amonia and other stuff but the Palmer's is the best. I see these spots in other areas of the floor also so I assume spores land on floor and just take off from there. The spots on the floor actually grow larger in time also. That was my first clue to white mold.
Any ideas, thoughts, etc. are all welcome. As my name says, I am really easygoin!
next time I post I will preview and check my typos before posting and I won't have to edit. Excuse them if you see any.
keep it simple. Mold of any type needs warmth and moisture. Get rid of either or both and you have no mold.
ventilation will help get rid of moisture to some degree, and may be acceptable.
Remember - furnishings,cardboard storage boxes, and carpeting will hold moisture. Also a bathroom will have much moisture which must be vented outside. Some builders go cheap and vent into the attic - creating moisture in the attic.
Another thought re the bathroom.
MOST people never clean their bathroom fan. It gets loaded with dust and lint and just spins/makes noise. It must be cleaned every year. It must be taken down and each fin cleaned with a toothbrush or other to get it clean/efficient.
I have a house that's about 20 years old and a terribly musty basement. Typically no standing water, but I have had some puddling during heavy rain, but not often.
There is a french drain system with a sump pump (which does run when it rains) and there is also a Radon system tied into where the sump pump is. It is sealed shut and I've never broken the seal to get at the sump pump.
I'm interested in DIY ventilation system that is shown in this thread, but I'm worried about it working against my current Radon system.
Here is a little more than I know:
The radon systems are typically "sealed" such that they get air flow from the "plenum" formed by the settling of the dirt and the basement concrete. This is where radon normally accumulates until it seeps out into the room.
IF you install the DIY ventilation system, it may compete with the radon system if there is no other air flow. IF you provide a very good air intakeat the opposite side of the new fan, it will most likely not create any problem.
from a radon point of view you will be sucking out radon either way. It seems to me that airflow is the key to success.
In the winter when my basement is better sealed, I shut the fan off. It is not usually needed in winter.
I'm thinking of doing this DIY ventilation but have a question. What do you do with the system when the weather is damp and muggy outside or on a rainy day? Do you shut it off or let it keep running? If its hot, damp and muggy outside its going to be the same inside the basement. Something we are trying to prevent. No?
We just purchased the radon fan as listed in this posting to install the home made system. Have a question about the wiring of the fan. There are wires, black, brown, blue and red connected into a white plastic housing. Is there a special plug we should of bought from the Fantech company we purchased the fan through? Or is there another way to connect the wiring to the switch. Thanks for any help. Linda
I wired mine with a normal cord from an old vacuum cleaner. then I just plugged it into an outlet.
You could use almost any cord of adequate capacity.You are only dealing with about 60watts/~1/2amp.
I think I also used a fitting to prevent it from being pulled out.
As I recall the diagram is really tricky and I almost wired it wrong. It almost seems upside down???
check it many times and if not sure ask for another opinion.
Also when it's rainy outside I still leave the system on. Ideally it would be great to only draw in dry air but it is not a real issue.
I just got this radon fan installed in the basement last night. Im surprised the fan is alot quieter than i thought it would be.
For the wiring, the diagram the fan ships with is confusing, but go by the wire colors when connecting the fan. The diagram is backwards or something to how it looks on the fan.
Another thing is re williams has two 4" pvc exhaust caps. Schedule 20 and schedule 40. Use the 4" schedule 40 pvc exhaust cap. The rubber fan adapters are to 4" sch 40 pvc pipe and home depot only had 4" sch 40 pvc pipe and fittings. I first bought the sch 20 cap and it didnt fit, it was like a 1/2" too small to fit on the pipe.
thanks for the help
Perhaps my home-made version of a wave ventilaton sytem would be helpful to some. I studied the suggestions in this thread, and elsewhere on the net. However, as I am hoping to sell my house in the next couple of years, I wanted a system I could take with me when I move.
Because it is rated for continuous use, I thought it made sense to use a radon fan for this application. I bought a Fantech brand radon fan ****** for appx. $120.
The fan came without a cord. I bought the least expensive household extension cord (checking the amp/watt ratings) and cut off the female plug end, stripped the wire insulation, and attached the cord to the Fantech. The installation was very easy, there are only two places to put any wires and there are only two wires on the extension cord...
I started with an old (empty) drywall bucket turned upside down. I traced a circle from the input side of the fan unit on the top of the bucket. I used a spade bit to make a hole and then a portable jig saw to cut out the circle. I then used a one inch spade bit to make holes in the bucket around the rim of the bucket, down at what will be the floor level. I spaced them about 2 inches apart. These holes allow the fan to suck in the air at the level of the basement floor. You could also use a wastebasket or any reasonbly sturdy bucket-shaped item for this purpose.
Set the fan unit in into the hole you have cut on top. Using a flexible rubber coupler (found in the plumbing department at Lowe's, about $7.00) attach the larger end of the coupler to the fan unit and the smaller end to a vent duct or hose. I used a semi-rigid flexible aluminum duct that is intended for clothes dryers. The size of coupler you buy will be determined by the size of your fan unit's outlet and the size of the duct you have chosen. In my case, I used a 4 inch to 3 inch coupler, and mounted the four inch end to the fan, and put the 4 inch flexible duct on the OUTSIDE of the 3 inch end of the coupler, and anchored both ends with the clamps that come with the coupler.
Attach the other end of the duct/hose to a dryer vent which you have installed in your basement wall. Plug in the unit and voila, you have a wave-type ventilator for (in my case) about $150.
I am planning to run it constantly during the high humidity summer months and then turn it off for the remainder of the year. So far my unit FUNCTIONS perfectly, but I am still not convinced that a Wave-Type ventilator will work to dehumidify the basement in my climate (Philadelphia/Washington DC high humidity summers). I figured it could not make the situation worse, at at minimum I would at least have more complete changes of air in my dank and damp basement. I will repost in several weeks to update on whether it seems to be making a difference in basement air quality and/or humidity levels.
Sounds great... love the simplicity. Are you finding it is having the same results as the other model posted on this thread with regards to smell? Any pictures you could post.