Home>Discussions>EXTERIORS>water misses the gutter
8 posts / 0 new
Last post
engravosaurus
water misses the gutter
engravosaurus

see two pics

on the right, water travels down along the edge and misses the gutter

how to fix this please?

http://postimg.org/gallery/2p5s36f1m/

dj1
Re: water misses the gutter
dj1

The pictures tell the tale:

1. If you lay a metal roof where the ridges are diagonal, where do you expect the rain water to end up? everywhere, but the gutter.

2. I can't see the gutter profile/width, but it may be too narrow to catch the water on the left picture.

3. Another possibility is that the gutter is mounted too deep under the end of the roof. A solution would be to move the gutter or to replace it with a wider gutter.

4. Question: on the right picture, the metal roof stops short of covering the roof deck. Why?

dj1
Re: water misses the gutter
dj1

Forgot this: Call a few gutter contractors for evaluation and recommendations.

engravosaurus
Re: water misses the gutter
engravosaurus
dj1 wrote:

The pictures tell the tale:

1. If you lay a metal roof where the ridges are diagonal, where do you expect the rain water to end up? everywhere, but the gutter.

2. I can't see the gutter profile/width, but it may be too narrow to catch the water on the left picture.

3. Another possibility is that the gutter is mounted too deep under the end of the roof. A solution would be to move the gutter or to replace it with a wider gutter.

4. Question: on the right picture, the metal roof stops short of covering the roof deck. Why?

thank you
maybe my pics don't correctly tell the tale
1) The two pics are from the same roof.
2) The seams are not diagonal, they are parallel to the left (south) edge of the roof and perpendicular to the gutter. But the roof is not a rectangle. On the right (north) side the peak projects outward forming a triangle projection so the metal panels were cut to fit the triangle.
3) I think the gutters are Ok. They are Leafguard and we have Leafguard on another house and they are super. Have not cleaned for nearly 20 years.
4) On the right pic the roof metal overlaps flashing.

Jack
Re: water misses the gutter
Jack

The way the roofing is installed it looks like they are tying to use a channel along the roof edge to feed the water down. I doubt that that channel is big enough to handle the water from such a large area. Massive flow from the ridge will over shoot the gutter. it looks like who ever installed your gutter cut it short. It should go past the end of the fascia.

Jack

engravosaurus
Re: water misses the gutter
engravosaurus
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

The way the roofing is installed it looks like they are tying to use a channel along the roof edge to feed the water down. I doubt that that channel is big enough to handle the water from such a large area. Massive flow from the ridge will over shoot the gutter. it looks like who ever installed your gutter cut it short. It should go past the end of the fascia.

Jack

Comments from here and there substantiate your view. Leafguard (a fine company) has agreed to return, cut out/off the offending fascia, and re-install longer gutters, at no additional charge. Roofer has not responded as to why drain water to where there is no gutter.

dj1
Re: water misses the gutter
dj1
engravosaurus wrote:

Comments from here and there substantiate your view. Leafguard (a fine company) has agreed to return, cut out/off the offending fascia, and re-install longer gutters, at no additional charge. Roofer has not responded as to why drain water to where there is no gutter.

The roofer did the right thing. Now, just sit and wait for the next rain storm to see if the situation improved or not.

Mastercarpentry
Re: water misses the gutter
Mastercarpentry

No need to wait for the rain. Unlike shingle roofs, you can approximate a heavy rain in each 'channel' of a metal roof with a garden hose. Go several feet back from the edge and let go full-pour with the hose end almost against the roofing so the water will spread. Now watch the bottom and you'll see if the water is over-shooting the gutter which it probably is.

As good s Leafgaurd gutters normally are, they don't handle overshooting flows as well as standard gutters do, and with metal roofs there's nothing like shingle texture to slow the flow down so overshooting is commonplace.

Phil

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.