Home>Discussions>DOORS & WINDOWS>warped aluminum threshold needs replacing
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
warped aluminum threshold needs replacing

I need some help here, please. I live right outside of St.Louis in a 2 1/2 year old house. Over the past few monthes our front door has been increasingly harder to open. When looked at from the front you can see that the threshold is actually bowed up in the middle. This has made the door scrape the top of the jam on one side and scraping in the middle on the bottom. There is also a gap where it is pulling up and away from the inside flooring. It was becoming so hard to open the door that we actually had to remove the inside part of the threshold (in fact it ended up breaking.) Being a newer development you'd expect to be able to contact the people that built the house but they went bankrupt and no longer exist. I did talk to someone that is working on a new development and he said that the subfloor underneath has gotten wet and is swelling pushing up on the threshold. Unfortunatly, he (and everyone he knows in the buisness) is too busy to fix it. He and another guy stood at my door for an hour discussing how hard it would be to fix without pulling the whole door out and neither one seemed interested in fixing it. I consider myself pretty handy but I believe this fix is out of my league. I watched Tom Silva's video on had to replace a threshold but the one he was doing was all wood with a toe kick. Mine is aluminum on concrete. My question then is who fixes this sort of thing? Do I have to find a contractor that will be willing to do it or do I call a door company or what? I'm totally in the dark on who to contact and could really use some input. Help would be appreciated soon, the bugs are coming in now and winter will be here soon and that will be mighty drafty. Thanks!!!

Re: warped aluminum threshold needs replacing

I would try calling a door company. They do this type of work for a living and are equipped to do it. The other contractors were right though. It'll be a bit messy and take some time, especially if they have to take the whole jamb and door out to get at the floor below it.

You may have to talk to a couple of door companies before you find one who will take it on. They'll probably want to charge you by the hour too. It's too hard to assess how long it will take them to do the job, for them to give you a fixed price before starting.

If you have a cement slab floor, it's hard to see how this is starting to change shape with moisture. You could always try one of the "tap-con" type screws. Sink one right in the center of the threshhold and see if you can get it to suck the aluminum back down to the concrete. It might save you time and money.

Good Luck.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.