4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wall covering - HELP!

So when we replace our walls, I do not want to use drywall. I know what I want to use, however I do not know the name of it and therefore I don't know what to look for when I go to the home improvement center. I've seen it in houses as well as restaurants. It resembles paneling, but doesn't appear to be made of wood. Vertical planks about 3-4 inches wide all equal length. It's not beadboard. I'm thinking it's some sort of masonite, but I'm not sure.

You see it in a lot of cottage/bungalow style homes, Red Lobster, and if you watch the Young & the Restless, Nick & Phyllis's tackhouse. I feel ridiculous for describing it this way, but I don't know how else to describe it.

Re: Wall covering - HELP!

I think what you are describing is T-111.It is a type of plywood that has a rough surface.It has grooves every 3.5".I May be way off,but thats all I can think of right now.I hpoe this helps:D

Re: Wall covering - HELP!

Thanks for the reply. I will look into this. I did google T-111 plywood quickly after reading your response and it appears this is mainly used for exterior surfaces. Assuming this is what I'm looking for, would it be safe for interior surfaces as well?

A. Spruce
Re: Wall covering - HELP!

If the background in this picture is what you're looking for:

Then I would say that it's either T1-11 (grooves 4" on center ), or it's tongue and groove 1x4, or possibly V-rustic, which is a lapped material that simulates T&G. Even though these have an "exterior" rating, that doesn't mean that they can't be used for interior surfaces as well. You will still want to sheetrock the interior of the room prior to installation of any type of paneling or other material which will aid in insulation, thermal break, sound transfer, and fire rating.

As far as "safe" goes, your carpet, drapes, and furniture are far more flammable than the paneling will be, especially if it's painted.

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.