65 posts / 0 new
Last post
djohns
Re: voltage in cable coaxial

I don't blame all of the problems on the field techs . Just like the company I work for , they are being asked to do more work with less folks .

bsum1
Re: voltage in cable coaxial

True the cable and phone companies ask more of the technicians than they are willing to give them. But that also explains why some of the people that are hired aren't qualified to provide the customer service that we expect.

gadient
Re: voltage in cable coaxial
canuk wrote:

I would say the modem is foobarred.
Whether it's a TV or a modem there should be no voltage at the RG 59/6 cable input.

The braided portion of coax is being used as ground which is connected to the F connector which connects to the chassis of the device.
One way to confirm this --- take your multimeter and check for continuity between the neutral spade on the plug and the threaded male F connector on the device.

One thing that might reduce the loop issue would be ensure the braid is only connected to ground on one end. This would lift the loop and still provide the RF shielding.It's really not a good idea to float the ground this way for saftey reasons.

If there is a signifigant ground loop issue then an isolation transformer on the cable line is a definate resolve.

The cable company should be able to resolve things --- afterall they run into situation more than once.
Bottom line is they want the install to be as cheap for them as possible.

In most cases the installers are hacks , especially when it comes to internet connections or digital cable terminal installs. Around here the installers for internet and digital cable are sub contractors --- usually some person that may have half knowledge to be able to turn on a PC , setup the account and that's it.

Good grief ---- if they have to run cable ( in a professional manner ) or troubleshoot issues such as what you're experiencing.

Ask them to prove the groundloop is your responcibility and that splitters store a charge ------- other than " I dunno , it's gotta be "

My 2 cents worth.

I reinstalled the modem after bringing it to work to check for voltage. It has been working fine - no outages that I have noticed. I hate calling them so I haven't even told them I found the mystery voltage at work. Plus it is still working. Can you guys check a voip cable modem for AC voltage (between the cable in and the outlet ground)?

It could still be a ground loop. ? It is grounded at the pole, at the electric service entry, and up in the attic (the splitters) to my breaker box ground. It may be weather related. ?

The last time they were there, the maintenance crew showed up and was milling around. I talked to one of them but they didn't give up much. Maybe they did something to the lines or to the node. What is in the node? -thanks again

canuk
Re: voltage in cable coaxial

You mentioned the maintenance crew showed up.
Could be the other crew that showed up are company employed where the installer was sub- hack.
It is possible they did find something on their end which might explain why there wasn't much conversation.

At this point it might be the old ---- if it ain't broke don't fix it --- approach if all is working.

gadient
Re: voltage in cable coaxial

Like I predicted my internet and comcast phone went out again. I called and reported it. They still blame my house wiring. I talked to everyone I could get to call me and none of them really understand electricity. They tell me that similar problems in the past were fixed by electricians but they could not tell me exactly what the problem is. I also couldn't get them to tell me what to have done. My electric seems fine. How can I be sure my electricity is ok? What should I do next? My buddy says if I call the electric company they may condemn my place and cost me thousands of dollars. I think my electric is fine even though it is the older non-grounded outlets. My breaker box has light guage copper wires going to the ground bus - maybe connecting to my metal outlet boxes.?
PS I got it working the same day by just disconnecting it and removing one of the d-plexers they put in between the coax wall jack and the modem. That was about a week ago.

Ernie_Fergler
Re: voltage in cable coaxial
gadient wrote:

Like I predicted my internet and comcast phone went out again. I called and reported it. They still blame my house wiring. I talked to everyone I could get to call me and none of them really understand electricity. They tell me that similar problems in the past were fixed by electricians but they could not tell me exactly what the problem is. I also couldn't get them to tell me what to have done. My electric seems fine. How can I be sure my electricity is ok? What should I do next? My buddy says if I call the electric company they may condemn my place and cost me thousands of dollars. I think my electric is fine even though it is the older non-grounded outlets. My breaker box has light guage copper wires going to the ground bus - maybe connecting to my metal outlet boxes.?
PS I got it working the same day by just disconnecting it and removing one of the d-plexers they put in between the coax wall jack and the modem. That was about a week ago.

Since all electrical improvements are grandfathered into the NEC, I would doubt that the electric company would discontinue the service they provide. I would also think they would check for voltage readings at your meter base. And no further. But that may be a regional thing as well. That supplier could require an complete electrical inspection though, but even that seems far fetched.
What exactly is a "d-plexer"?

gadient
Re: voltage in cable coaxial

Sorry "d-plexor" is a typo. They call it a di-plexor (er?) and it is a satellite device that supposedly blocks voltage buildup. I'll get info from the disconnected one when I get home to try to explain further.

Ernie_Fergler
Re: voltage in cable coaxial
gadient wrote:

Sorry "d-plexor" is a typo. They call it a di-plexor (er?) and it is a satellite device that supposedly blocks voltage buildup. I'll get info from the disconnected one when I get home to try to explain further.

Thanks for the reply.:)
A device that blocks voltage, eh? So you are saying it is part of a satellite system then. Say as in directv.

gadient
Re: voltage in cable coaxial

Yes, that's what they said. I meant to grap the thing this morning and didn't. I have a nice APC UPS with a digital readout now here at work. It also has a cable line filter. I could bottow that for a test but I guess I need to use a grounded outlet. I'll pull a new cable line and run it to a grounded outlet and then try the UPS. What do ya think?
PS Still working after removing the "diplexor".

Ernie_Fergler
Re: voltage in cable coaxial
gadient wrote:

Yes, that's what they said. I meant to grap the thing this morning and didn't. I have a nice APC UPS with a digital readout now here at work. It also has a cable line filter. I could bottow that for a test but I guess I need to use a grounded outlet. I'll pull a new cable line and run it to a grounded outlet and then try the UPS. What do ya think?
PS Still working after removing the "diplexor".

I am wondering out loud why you would have a "diplexor" to begin with. I will admit I know very little about such a device, as I do not have cable.
I do have Directv for about eight year now, but I do not have a diplexor, as far as I can tell. And I did the complete system instillation all by myself.:eek:

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.