7 posts / 0 new
Last post
royhathaway
Vintage switches

I am remodeling a 1923, 21 room house that has brass toggle switches with a porcelan base. I am looking to purchase aditional switches of this kind in keeping with the period look. Any ideas would be welcomed
[email protected]

Re: Vintage switches

This question or simular to your question has come up before. Someone said there was a place in Australia sold them. I would stay away from old or used switches.What ever you use j:)ust make sure what ever you buy is UL tested and rated. UL is a lab that test electrical equipment to make sure it is safe. Remember safty first looks second.

Ernie_Fergler
Re: Vintage switches
Ravens53 wrote:

This question or simular to your question has come up before. Someone said there was a place in Australia sold them. I would stay away from old or used switches.What ever you use j:)ust make sure what ever you buy is UL tested and rated. UL is a lab that test electrical equipment to make sure it is safe. Remember safty first looks second.

I bought a few single pole & 3 way switches from a company in Oregon, I believe it was. I have no idea the name of said company, but I think I googled them.
Just make sure they are UL & CSA listed. They were rather salty, that I do know.

xyxoxy
Re: Vintage switches

Here in Baltimore we have several stores that specialize in salvage from old house renovations. This includes just about everything from doorknobs to fixtures, to... well you name it. I'm sure they have their share of old switches and the like.

There is also a co-op/non-profit type store called the Loading Dock which is kinda like a Goodwill for new and used building products of all sorts. I bought both a 1950's mint green toilet and a lemon yellow sink basin for under $20.

Perhaps your city has something similar?

Re: Vintage switches
xyxoxy wrote:

Here in Baltimore we have several stores that specialize in salvage from old house renovations. This includes just about everything from doorknobs to fixtures, to... well you name it. I'm sure they have their share of old switches and the like.

There is also a co-op/non-profit type store called the Loading Dock which is kinda like a Goodwill for new and used building products of all sorts. I bought both a 1950's mint green toilet and a lemon yellow sink basin for under $20.

Perhaps your city has something similar?

I lived in Baltimore for 47 years... I miss those steamed crabs. and Attmans corned beef and of course the Ravens and orioles

Jaguar36
Re: Vintage switches

You should be able to find a store online that sells what you're looking for.

A quick google search turned up this place You didn't specify where you were located, but that place is in the UK, where I think these types of switches were more popular.

xyxoxy
Re: Vintage switches
Quote:

I lived in Baltimore for 47 years... I miss those steamed crabs. and Attmans corned beef and of course the Ravens and orioles

They are all still here waiting for you :)
I should have guessed with a handle that includes "Ravens".

I just referred someone else to a "Loading Dock" type store in MN and your profile says you are there as well.
http://www.thereusecenter.com/ is near Minneapolis and if you are not close to there perhaps they can redirect you.

Re-using building supplies is a wonderful thing as long as you are electrically safe as the other posts suggest.

Edit: Sorry...I've read your posts and know that you most certainly understand electrical safety. I didn't mean to imply otherwise :)

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.