3 posts / 0 new
Last post
vertical corner cracks

Our rooms on the west side of our house have vertical cracks in the corners. We have re-taped and mudded, but they appear again. Anyone know of a product that might keep them from cracking again. It's time to repaint, but we're afraid it's a waste of time if the corners crack again!!!

Re: vertical corner cracks

I would suggest you get someone in to check on the underling cause. These type of cracks are usually an indication for uneven settling of the foundation, a deteriorating sill, or a spreading wall.

Re: vertical corner cracks

Thanks Jack...now the question is who do we get in to look at it? A carpenter or a foundation guy? The people who owned the house before us apparently did a lot of rehabbing on the house...even replacing some of the floor joists. I guess the house had been vacant for a time and they bought it as a foreclosure. Anyhow, I just wonder who we should call first? Any suggestions? Is this type of problem better tackled by one or the other?

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.