My husband and I purchased a house built around 1900, almost 2 years ago. We've just had someone in to do an energy efficiency audit for us, and learned the particulars about vermiculite and asbestos. Our third floor is partially finished (2 bedrooms), and there is vermiculite in the eaves accessed through each of those bedrooms, also in the attic crawl space, and the walls. We've not had it tested for asbestos, as I've read that the testing can be unreliable. We're aware that if it's undisturbed it should not be a problem; however we've used the eaves quite a bit for storage, and the vermiculite constantly falls to the floor (the plastic holding it in is mostly stable for now but I've still vacuumed up several piles of it as it keeps re-appearing). We've had a squirrel problem in the eaves as well, so the vermiculite has been somewhat disturbed. My husband has also done a couple of projects that involved exposing the vermiculite in the walls.
I'm looking for feedback about how safe our current situation is. My sons sleep in the third floor bedrooms, and I am extremely worried about potential exposure. Removal is not an option, as we have limited funds toward any projects. The boys sleep a few feet away from the doors to the eaves, and I am really not a risk taker. Does it sound like I need to move them to the 2nd floor, or is the risk minimal? We don't know if we should consider our finished 3rd floor space useable at this point. Thanks for any input!