2 posts / 0 new
Last post
underfloor help

I am laying tile floor in our laundry room.When I tore up the old tile I discovered that the plywood floor there had knot holes and were not laid even. the knot holes were filed with paper. I was told I could use bondo (normally used for car repair) What can I use to fill these holes and ridges?

Re: underfloor help

For the holes -

Do you have access from below the floor? If so, I'd patch the underside, then use self-leveling floor compound on top. Alternatively, you could just put a 1/4" layer of lauan over the entire floor

For minor dips in the floor -

Use shingles to fill the dents (heard this tip from a home improvement show, but never tried it)

For areas that really low -

patch with plywood of the appropriate thickness, cut a little smaller than the low area, then use compound around the edge of the patch to extend it to the surrounding level floor.

In profile your patch would look like this (hope this diagram will make sense)

ply patch
____ _______ ________
\___| |___/
| /
| /
floor at normal height

Fill the dip surrounding the patch with compound.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.