Home>Discussions>EXTERIORS>Ugly concrete chainwall
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ugly concrete chainwall

The homeowner next door has an ugly, poorly built 14 inch high concrete chainwall that runs the length of our property line. They recently put up a cedar fence in the ground on their side of the chainwall. We are left looking at the back of their fence, then a gap of about 3 inches (filled with dirt) and then the ugly, uneven, cracked chainwall. I was thinking about covering the chainwall by building a wooden bench or raised garden bed or something else to hide the concrete chainwall and turn it into something useful. Any suggestions?

Re: Ugly concrete chainwall

This is kinda hard to visualize without photos & I'm not sure I know what a concrete chain fence is---any pictures you can post would be appreciated.

By all means, check out various fence & plant options that you may want to use to improve property line appearance---but also keep in mind that you want to maintain peace with your next door neighbor; it's a good idea to notify the owner on the other side of the line of your intentions, by a simple written note or talking to him/her if you see them out in the yard one of these days---this will avoid any hard feelings---a small percentage of neighbors get testy when it comes to property lines & insist that the line be surveyed (big bucks which you pay, of course) before they agree to anything, so it's a good idea to talk it over first.

Just mention that you intend to put such & such fence up to improve appearances, whether you plan to diy or have a contractor do it.

Check the town hall ordinances in your area for allowable fence heights; there is usually a limit of 6' or 8' for constructed fences; shrubs & trees are sometimes allowed to go a little higher.

Re: Ugly concrete chainwall

If the wall is on their property you can not build anything on it without their permission. Landscaping seems to me to be the best solution.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.