Home>Discussions>EXTERIORS>Type of balusters for a 1901 victorian porch
6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tyler Smith
Type of balusters for a 1901 victorian porch

I have a 1901 Victorian that I am slowing fixing up. I do not have any old pictures of what the front porch looked like. I am trying to determine what the appropriate balusters would be on the front porch. It is a little odd because the existing rail height is so short at 22 inches high.

Re: Type of balusters for a 1901 victorian porch

It is a little hard to answer your question as I don't know what your front porch looked like. You may take a look on flat sawn balusters. This balusters can compliment with almost any Victorian style.

amankhisti

That is tedious because as per your situation there has to be too much of thought process involved and recreation should be a work of inspiration.

JLMCDANIEL

You might try taking a look here http://www.vintagewoodworks.com/porposbalrai.html for some ideas.
Jack

Sombreuil_mongrel

I have a fun little book reprinted by Dover, "Turn of the Century Decorative Millwork" a facsimile of a supply catalog from 1902. ISBN 0-486-29280-0. 408 pages. There are 8 pages of porch parts, and I counted 51 styles of baluster.
I can't describe them all here.
S_M

Saliyan

It is little hard to imaging without actually seen the picture. Try to create computer picture and try with different balusters for the front porch.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.