Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>Turning 30 amp 220 plug into standard single 20 amp outlet.
15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rpm90001
Re: Turning 30 amp 220 plug into standard single 20 amp outlet.

Ok..my 20 amp breaker is rated for #14-#8 so #8 is no issue. So the only issue I could see that is out of the ordinary is the pig tail to the receptacle, and that's common practice. Looks like its a go.

Thanks

Geo

Rpm90001 wrote:

Ok..my 20 amp breaker is rated for #14-#8 so #8 is no issue. So the only issue I could see that is out of the ordinary is the pig tail to the receptacle, and that's common practice. Looks like its a go.

Thanks

Geo

Rpm, there is no Code reason you can't do what you propose. In fact, if a 20A 120V run is several hundred feet long it is mandatory to do so, to reduce voltage drop.

If the box behind the range is too small install a box extension (wll be on the surface of the wall), then your receptacle, so you don't have to jam your pigtail into a small box.

Rpm90001

Maurice,
Thank you, I was hoping you would chime in. The box should br large enough, but have a ring if needed

Thank you,

George

Rpm90001 wrote:

Maurice,
Thank you, I was hoping you would chime in. The box should br large enough, but have a ring if needed

Thank you,

George

Glad to help George, I do what you're planning all the time.

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.