2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Clifton Horton
Tub Overflow

I have a tub that is about 30 years old. I took the overflow cover off yesterday and found the gasket was destroyed and the hole has started to rust away. Is there a product I can buy to correct this problem?? I don't know if there is a oversized gasket and seal to correct this problem.

A. Spruce
Re: Tub Overflow

The gasket is replaceable, if you can't find the same size, then you can purchase gasket material and cut your own. As far as the rust goes, unless it's significant, don't worry about it. If it is significant, the only way to remediate it is to remove the rust and repaint or enamel the hole to minimize the rust from returning.

When you replace the gasket, wire brush as much of the rust off as you can, then reassemble the overflow.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.