Home>Discussions>BATHROOMS>Tub and Shower Faucet Upgrade
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tub and Shower Faucet Upgrade

My 1980s house has one piece fiberglass shower/tub combinations in both bathrooms. They have faucets for hot, cold, and the shower diverter. I have replaced (numerous times)the stems, "o" rings, seats and still have problems with the diverter completely diverting the water and the even flow of hot and cold water. Is there a way to cut out a section of the shower wall...put in a single faucet design and cover up the hole. Even my plumber scratched his head on this one. Note: The house is on a slab and the bathrooms are back to back...though offset slightly.

Rodney H
Re: Tub and Shower Faucet Upgrade
Rodney H

Mmmm, this is quite a problem, but might be fixable. Completely take apart the entire assembly. Perhaps one of the seats is rough, or pitted. Since it does not work properly, try sanding the seats with emery paper, put in new o-rings, etc. Sounds like something is slipping when you switch from hot to cold, cold to hot, or a blend. Are the splines under the handle stripped?

If this still will not stop your problem, I would suggest removing the entire tub/shower assembly, rather than just cutting a hole and ruining the entire shower/tub assembly. It is sure far easier to recaulk, and reinstall the tub/shower, than buy an entire new one. When you finally get to the assemblies, I would suggest you replace both of them with some new ones.

Further check to see how the two bathrooms were plumbed in the first place. There must be some way to get to the pipes.

Your house is not that old, so you should be able to get to the plumbing, somehow. If the bathrooms are offset, try making a hole in the sheetrock wall on the other side, accessing the pipes. After you replace both assemblies, just fix the sheetrock.

Looks like a tedious job, but, it is a start.

Good luck. Hope you had a great Christmas.

[email protected]

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.