Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>Trip Lever Tub Drain Linkage
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trip Lever Tub Drain Linkage

We changed the finish of our tub hardware and wanted to also change the trip lever stopper system. The tub was installed in the late 1970's and the trip lever never did work. When I removed the overflow plate, I found that there was no linkage attached. I purchaced a new trip lever plate and drain. The linkage was not included so I also purchased a new linkage assembly from Home Depot. When I attempted to install the linkage and cylinder, it stopped at about the top of the bar holding the cylinder. I used an inspection scope and noticed what appeared to be a ledge running completley around the internal pipe. the cylinder hits this ledge and stops. The water drains from the tub just below where the cylinder stopped. Since it has been so long, I do not know the manufacturer of the tub. Are there different sizes to the stopper clinder? The package says for a Price Pfister but, it was the only one they carried and the sales person said that they were all the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Re: Trip Lever Tub Drain Linkage


Save yourself the headaches and buy a cable operated drain kit. You'll wonder why all tubs don't have one. They can be pricey, but have a lot of advantages. Mountain, Gerberit, Jado, Brasstech all makes a few models in every finish.

Re: Trip Lever Tub Drain Linkage

It sounds like you may be hitting the old plunger that fell of the original trip waste.


Re: Trip Lever Tub Drain Linkage

Before you can install a new trip lever (any brand) you will need to get the separated plunger, the one John mentioned, out.

There are two ways to do it: a difficult way, a more difficult way and very easy.

1. Make a hook from a metal coat hanger and tr to fish it our,

2. Disassemble the tub drain and get it out.

3. Call a plumber.

Re: Trip Lever Tub Drain Linkage

Correction: There are 3 (or more) ways to do it, not 2.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.