Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>trenchless pipe installation/pipe "bursting" technique
1 post / 0 new
Maine Cottage Owner
trenchless pipe installation/pipe "bursting" technique
Maine Cottage Owner

Does anyone have any experience with using trenchless technqiues to replace a failing/leaking water line?

Our sesonal cottage in Maine has municipal water, but the line runs almost 400 feet across the front our property, through a wooded area, before it connects with the water main near our neighbor's house.

The line is 3/4" plastic/ or maybe pvc and is failing. We have repaired several leaks, but new ones keep coming up further down the line. Excavating and replacing would be extremely expensive and impractical.  So I have been wondering about trenchless replacment, where they either use the old line to pull a new on through, or use a "burst head" to expand the old line and push a new one through.

I think we need at least 3/4" to have good pressure, is that correct? And 400' is a long way.

I am even considering drilling a well instead!

Thoughts? Anyone know contractors in Maine who do this kind of work?

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.