2 posts / 0 new
Last post
pjslns
Toxic Taste

I have an old house, which was built in 1940. I'm removing the old casing around the living room windows, and replacing it with new stained window casing. When I removed the old windows, I noticed they still had the old window weights. I also, noticed a steel like taste in my mouth when working around the windows. Do you know what that may be and is it dangerous to be exposed to whatever that is causing the taste in my mouth?

Please help, thank you.

TomF
Re: Toxic Taste

Maybe some rust (iron oxide) has formed on the weight and either remained on the weight or dropped off into the space below or both. Maybe your work disturbed the rust and suspended it into the air around your face and you are tasting it. Nothing to worry about, although you wouldn't want to be breathing it so a face mask might be a good idea.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.