Home>Discussions>TV>Ask This Old House>Tom Silva's replacement basement window...
16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blue RidgeParkway
Re: Tom Silva's replacement basement window...
Blue RidgeParkway
libcarp wrote:

Did you see this (Jan 02, 2009) weeks 'Ask This Old House' episode?

Hey, now we all know of a joint where you can easily break into - the basement windows are held in with only 3 screws along the top edge!

Frankly, I'm surprised that Tom would do it that way, that expanding foam insulation has absolutely no structural strength.

If I was that homeowner I couldn't sleep at night knowing how easily that window could be pushed in or pulled out.

You watching a rerun or syndication? Normally premier on Thursdays on PBS and rerun Saturdays and Sundays...Which Season? Which Episode? Where/What Station (broadcast, cable, satellite?) are you watching ATOH on Fridays? Tom replaced a basement window back on season 1 (2002) episode 109.

Normally window frames are not attached to the header.

libcarp
Re: Tom Silva's replacement basement window...
libcarp

It's from the current season - episode #714 - it got bumped from the regular timeslot this week and they showed it on Friday (actually Saturday morning at 5:00am) because they ran some special during primetime on Thursday. This was on the PBS HD channel - http://www.pbs.org/cgi-registry/tvschedules/new/tvschedules.pl?display_feed=13366&display_format=fullday&station=KETC&zipcode=&transport=&provider=&feeds=756%2C13366%2C13367%2C17102&printable=t&supersite=stations&display_date=2009-01-02

Blue RidgeParkway
Re: Tom Silva's replacement basement window...
Blue RidgeParkway
libcarp wrote:

Did you see this (Jan 02, 2009) weeks 'Ask This Old House' episode?

Hey, now we all know of a joint where you can easily break into - the basement windows are held in with only 3 screws along the top edge!

Frankly, I'm surprised that Tom would do it that way, that expanding foam insulation has absolutely no structural strength.

If I was that homeowner I couldn't sleep at night knowing how easily that window could be pushed in or pulled out.

Ah yes, I follow, the episode that starts off with Roger repairing a gate in the Carolinas after walking around the yard mis-identifying the lady's plants and finishes with Tom demonstrating spray foam at the loft. Got pre-empt here too, just caught it on digital, Gotcha on the episode in question and gotcha on the :eek: what-the-heck can't believe I just saw and heard what I just saw and heard!??!! :eek::eek: Three little multipurpose screws, sheesh! a butter knife or a good push that window frame nothing but a trap door even with the screws!

Yeah, I found that entire section rather mind-blowing in almost every aspect of Tommy's materials choices, work and what he said both site and loft!:confused:. Would NEVER fly here. He contradicted every thing I've ever seen him say or demonstrate in installation of a door or window on any episode of TOH or ATOH I've seen him on and every article/web page, Q&A, that's been attributed to him that I've ever seen before. (not to mention go against everything I've learned, been taught, been told about installation - looked worse than a fly by nighter bad EIFS nightmare waiting to happen). Were those drywall/multi purpose screws he used?!? No way did he use stainless steel wood screws when he fastened (and SPLIT - did you notice the sill split when first of four screws was installed?) that pressure treated sill he cut to the underside of the window frame either.

Low expansion spray foam from a can "glues" untreated window frame of formerly nailing fin equipped window unit to un-cleaned, un primed (no bonding agent nothing) old concrete or masonry foundation. yeah right. It was curing yellow, Tommy told the home owner to wait until it fully cured an scrape off the overage with a wire brush. Yeah - that's going to withstand wind, weather, snow/ice piles 2 inches off the pavement and resist UV degrading exposed to weather?!?:eek: I missed the location of homeowner number 2 did you catch it?

What is this super duper gluey low expansion foam that can bond wood to old concrete that hasn't been cleaned let alone etched or bonding agent applied with dual exposure (inside and outside) inches above exterior pavement or soil? any one? oh and I have this bridge for sale....:D

You think maybe he just didn't care since the basement was unfinished? Something else gone to his head (age, fumes, endorsement money?). Have they been running a new disclaimer with the show (maybe I'm missing it when I skip the tons of commercials fore and aft).

Blue RidgeParkway
Re: Tom Silva's replacement basement window...
Blue RidgeParkway

Hey there's a web version video posted now looks like it is edited/based on snippets and outtakes from the show! Notice they've added BUTYL CAULK to the proceedure and exterior painting since we both posted on this subject, but still just three screws to the mudsill from the head jamb. Know what's really funny? check out the pop-up TOOLS LIST's pictures versus captions.

Here's the link on the main TOH site: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,1631552,00.html

P.S. I about busted my gut when I heard him tell the boys (and the general public) that there was no difference betweeen using ANY expanding foam insulation product for fireblocking penetrations and a Labeled and Listed Fireblocking foam product except for the colorant or a listed E-814 proper fireblocking/firesealing material!!! Guess Tommy feels any old expanding foam product will do, tested or not, listed or not. Amazing. Not Code, Not accurate, frankly not safe - but Tom said it...and all the guys in the were just following script.

FYI there is a difference - BIG DIFFERENCE, being tested and passed to completely different standards (ASTM E-814 Un-Modified) and listed use for use as same (and usually limited to residential - type "V" construction only) and further FYI most even orange colorant, sealant/caulking E-84 "fireblocking foams" cannot be used for E-814 (one-hour or two-hour resistive walls or floors) sealing assemblies or applications - gotta shift to red and the old caulk tube, or other approved, tested, listed materials and methods, and most if not all orange expanding foam "fireblocking foam"s do NOT meet the UL definition of a fire stopping sealant and are not appropriate for fire-stopping applications. (Big kaboom with the "firefoam" manufacturers earlier last year with UL and CPSC forcing them to add that language to their labels and marketing materials - and all kinds of alerts and bulletins being sent out to code inspectors, insurance inspectors, fire investigators, code development organizations, etc. -so be wary of the doublespeak on the cans, technical sheets, etc.). That ICC-ES has "modified" ASTM-814 testing standards to make it seem that flamable when cured expanding polyurethane caulks are some sort of fireblocking material and manufacturers with ES support have gotten removal of non-combustible reference in the residential code is IMHO proof that money buys influeance; and lobbying and propagana marketing can fool those that should know better just as easily as the masses. Shame that they have made their own excuses for not following the definitions and standards already created. Insurers are wiser claims a plenty not being paid or reduced due to use of such materials in remodeling, reconstruction and new construction.

canuk
Re: Tom Silva's replacement basement window...
canuk
Blue RidgeParkway wrote:

Ah yes, I follow, the episode that starts off with Roger repairing a gate in the Carolinas after walking around the yard mis-identifying the lady's plants and finishes with Tom demonstrating spray foam at the loft. Got pre-empt here too, just caught it on digital, Gotcha on the episode in question and gotcha on the :eek: what-the-heck can't believe I just saw and heard what I just saw and heard!??!! :eek::eek: Three little multipurpose screws, sheesh! a butter knife or a good push that window frame nothing but a trap door even with the screws!

Yeah, I found that entire section rather mind-blowing in almost every aspect of Tommy's materials choices, work and what he said both site and loft!:confused:. Would NEVER fly here. He contradicted every thing I've ever seen him say or demonstrate in installation of a door or window on any episode of TOH or ATOH I've seen him on and every article/web page, Q&A, that's been attributed to him that I've ever seen before. (not to mention go against everything I've learned, been taught, been told about installation - looked worse than a fly by nighter bad EIFS nightmare waiting to happen). Were those drywall/multi purpose screws he used?!? No way did he use stainless steel wood screws when he fastened (and SPLIT - did you notice the sill split when first of four screws was installed?) that pressure treated sill he cut to the underside of the window frame either.

Low expansion spray foam from a can "glues" untreated window frame of formerly nailing fin equipped window unit to un-cleaned, un primed (no bonding agent nothing) old concrete or masonry foundation. yeah right. It was curing yellow, Tommy told the home owner to wait until it fully cured an scrape off the overage with a wire brush. Yeah - that's going to withstand wind, weather, snow/ice piles 2 inches off the pavement and resist UV degrading exposed to weather?!?:eek: I missed the location of homeowner number 2 did you catch it?

What is this super duper gluey low expansion foam that can bond wood to old concrete that hasn't been cleaned let alone etched or bonding agent applied with dual exposure (inside and outside) inches above exterior pavement or soil? any one? oh and I have this bridge for sale....:D

You think maybe he just didn't care since the basement was unfinished? Something else gone to his head (age, fumes, endorsement money?). Have they been running a new disclaimer with the show (maybe I'm missing it when I skip the tons of commercials fore and aft).

Blue RidgeParkway wrote:

Hey there's a web version video posted now looks like it is edited/based on snippets and outtakes from the show! Notice they've added BUTYL CAULK to the proceedure and exterior painting since we both posted on this subject, but still just three screws to the mudsill from the head jamb. Know what's really funny? check out the pop-up TOOLS LIST's pictures versus captions.

Here's the link on the main TOH site: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,1631552,00.html

P.S. I about busted my gut when I heard him tell the boys (and the general public) that there was no difference betweeen using ANY expanding foam insulation product for fireblocking penetrations and a Labeled and Listed Fireblocking foam product except for the colorant or a listed E-814 proper fireblocking/firesealing material!!! Guess Tommy feels any old expanding foam product will do, tested or not, listed or not. Amazing. Not Code, Not accurate, frankly not safe - but Tom said it...and all the guys in the were just following script.

FYI there is a difference - BIG DIFFERENCE, being tested and passed to completely different standards (ASTM E-814 Un-Modified) and listed use for use as same (and usually limited to residential - type "V" construction only) and further FYI most even orange colorant, sealant/caulking E-84 "fireblocking foams" cannot be used for E-814 (one-hour or two-hour resistive walls or floors) sealing assemblies or applications - gotta shift to red and the old caulk tube, or other approved, tested, listed materials and methods, and most if not all orange expanding foam "fireblocking foam"s do NOT meet the UL definition of a fire stopping sealant and are not appropriate for fire-stopping applications. (Big kaboom with the "firefoam" manufacturers earlier last year with UL and CPSC forcing them to add that language to their labels and marketing materials - and all kinds of alerts and bulletins being sent out to code inspectors, insurance inspectors, fire investigators, code development organizations, etc. -so be wary of the doublespeak on the cans, technical sheets, etc.). That ICC-ES has "modified" ASTM-814 testing standards to make it seem that flamable when cured expanding polyurethane caulks are some sort of fireblocking material and manufacturers with ES support have gotten removal of non-combustible reference in the residential code is IMHO proof that money buys influeance; and lobbying and propagana marketing can fool those that should know better just as easily as the masses. Shame that they have made their own excuses for not following the definitions and standards already created. Insurers are wiser claims a plenty not being paid or reduced due to use of such materials in remodeling, reconstruction and new construction.

Thank you Blue RidgeParkway for setting things straight.

Good thing you know more than Tom Silva.

Blue RidgeParkway
Re: Tom Silva's replacement basement window...
Blue RidgeParkway

Show descriptions for 713 & 714 weren't posted till this week. Interesting their trying to rewrite history mentioning masonry colored caulk now, the show as edited and aired Tom was pretty clear to the Home Owner and what he said on the show episode.

The video they posted, already referred to, also speaks for itself. Wouldn't be surprised if it is re-edited and they make corrections to the web page and tabs that go with it. Wouldn't be the first time.

As far as "fireblocking foam", at least more than the shows "script" writers. When have you seen any part of ATOH in the loft that wasn't obviously and completely pre-scripted?

What Tom "knows" and what comes out of his mouth on the shows are likely different things. Money talks.

canuk
Re: Tom Silva's replacement basement window...
canuk
Blue RidgeParkway wrote:

Show descriptions for 713 & 714 weren't posted till this week. Interesting their trying to rewrite history mentioning masonry colored caulk now, the show as edited and aired Tom was pretty clear to the Home Owner and what he said on the show episode.

The video they posted, already referred to, also speaks for itself. Wouldn't be surprised if it is re-edited and they make corrections to the web page and tabs that go with it. Wouldn't be the first time.

As far as "fireblocking foam", at least more than the shows "script" writers. When have you seen any part of ATOH in the loft that wasn't obviously and completely pre-scripted?

What Tom "knows" and what comes out of his mouth on the shows are likely different things. Money talks.

And the same can be said about yourself.

havanagranite
Re: Tom Silva's replacement basement window...
havanagranite
canuk wrote:

And the same can be said about yourself.

canuk my friend I need to disagree with you here. Tom still comes across as intelligent as well as a likeable person

as opposed to the other individual

canuk
Re: Tom Silva's replacement basement window...
canuk

Geez .... havana my friend you're right.

It should have read ..... What Blue Ridge " knows " and what comes out in her posts are different. Google talks.

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.