3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Textured Plaster Removal

One wall in my Dining Room is covered in some sort of white textured stuff? I believe it is directly over the original plaster walls.
What is this stuff and what would the easiest method of removal be?
I've been scraping at it for over two days and it just doesn't want to come off that easily.
Also, would this texture have been original to the wall or did someone add it later?

Re: Textured Plaster Removal

Any ideas?

Hank Bauer
Re: Textured Plaster Removal

See if you can find an angle plane this is a tool used in the plastering trade to knock off high areas in plaster and stucco.
Cost sould be under $ 15.00.
After the high spots are taken care of I would use a product called Master of Plaster with the fine mesh tape for the cracks.
As for the corner crack you could use a Veener corner bead installed in the corner.This bead is for outside corners just reverse it.
Or cut out the corner on each side about 3 inches and install a corner rite. This is a piece of metal lath formed for inside corners.Another is to form your own from hardware cloth.
When installed apply A gypsum plaster base use USG Structo-Lite or **** Bond Gypso lite base plaster.Larger cracks cao also be repaired in this manner.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.