3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tempering Valve?

I am having a plumber install a whirlpool tub. He said I need a tempering valve to prevent scalding since the tub has a hand shower. The controls are two handled (hot and cold) with a diverter at the water outlet. None of the big box store here carry one. Actualy, the guy at HD didn't know what I was talking about. Help?

Re: Tempering Valve?

In Mass you would need to use an anti-scalding, pressure balancing valve. So what I do is throw a rough-in shower valve (prefer kohler 304-k) underneath the tub apron. It will need permanent access however. The goal is to have 112 degree water being the hottest you can receive. You could put the valve in the basement and run a dedicated line to the hot valve also. The 112 is Mass code maybe in your area it can be warmer.

Re: Tempering Valve?

If you cannot find just a rough valve without trim, go to a plumbing supply house.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.