10 posts / 0 new
Last post
mr.tate614
Switches

I am about to update my ceiling fans. and the switches control both the light and the van. Do they make a switch that will run of one wire to control both the fan and the light separately? I happened to see a switch that at lowes controls both the fan and light that are adjustable. (the lights dim and it controls the fan speed.) but im not sure if it works off one wire or would i have to just deal with the turning the light on and off by the pull cord from the fan. I am just comfused about the switch set up. I know in like electronic devices you can use one wire and a dual switch to control 2 different things... please help.

Fencepost
Re: Switches

I'm not aware of any wired switch that uses a single wire to control the fan and light individually. However, you can purchase wireless remote kits to retrofit an existing ceiling fan. The receiver is installed in the canopy at the ceiling, and it has separate leads for the motor and light. Then you use the remote control for both fan & light, and you don't have to do anything with the wall switch but leave it turned on.

I've seen these kits at Lowe's and Home Depot.

The fan in my house came with the wireless remote and I love it. The remote almost never leaves its holster on the wall, but that's OK. It works great.

Moon Over My Hammy
Re: Switches
mr.tate614 wrote:

I am about to update my ceiling fans. and the switches control both the light and the van. Do they make a switch that will run of one wire to control both the fan and the light separately? I happened to see a switch that at lowes controls both the fan and light that are adjustable. (the lights dim and it controls the fan speed.) but im not sure if it works off one wire or would i have to just deal with the turning the light on and off by the pull cord from the fan. I am just comfused about the switch set up. I know in like electronic devices you can use one wire and a dual switch to control 2 different things... please help.

Yes they do.

Ernie_Fergler
Re: Switches
Moon Over My Hammy wrote:

Yes they do.

I would like to see that switch.:rolleyes:

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Switches
Ernie_Fergler wrote:

I would like to see that switch.:rolleyes:

Me, too!:confused:
Jack

Moon Over My Hammy
Re: Switches

Hunter 27189: Fan 2.0 amps; light 300 watts. Two-wire control, no extra wiring controls three fan speeds and full-range light dimming. Rocker switchplate not included.

Hunter 27186: Fan 1.0 amp; light 300 watts. Complete fan/light operation in a two-wire control - no extra wiring separate buttons for three fan speeds plus instant off and full-range light dimming. Rocker switchplate not included.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Switches
Moon Over My Hammy wrote:

Hunter 27189: Fan 2.0 amps; light 300 watts. Two-wire control, no extra wiring controls three fan speeds and full-range light dimming. Rocker switchplate not included.

Hunter 27186: Fan 1.0 amp; light 300 watts. Complete fan/light operation in a two-wire control - no extra wiring separate buttons for three fan speeds plus instant off and full-range light dimming. Rocker switchplate not included.

Requires 2 wires. It may work depending on how the original wiring is run. If power is to the switch box and then to the fan it won't. If the power is to the fan ceiling box and then power and return to the switch it can be rewired to work.
Jack

Ernie_Fergler
Re: Switches

Reading something from Hunter pamphlets is asking to asking a clerk at a big box a question. :eek:

Moon Over My Hammy
Re: Switches
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

Requires 2 wires. It may work depending on how the original wiring is run. If power is to the switch box and then to the fan it won't. If the power is to the fan ceiling box and then power and return to the switch it can be rewired to work.
Jack

Yes they do work in both situations. The lower amp fan control is for the newer fans and works with the newest fans with the limiters too.

bsum1
Re: Switches
Moon Over My Hammy wrote:

Hunter 27189: Fan 2.0 amps; light 300 watts. Two-wire control, no extra wiring controls three fan speeds and full-range light dimming. Rocker switchplate not included.

Hunter 27186: Fan 1.0 amp; light 300 watts. Complete fan/light operation in a two-wire control - no extra wiring separate buttons for three fan speeds plus instant off and full-range light dimming. Rocker switchplate not included.

Moon Over My Hammy wrote:

Yes they do work in both situations. The lower amp fan control is for the newer fans and works with the newest fans with the limiters too.

Now this is confusing.:confused:

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.