Home>Discussions>DOORS & WINDOWS>Storm Window Hardware Needed
9 posts / 0 new
Last post
tessaning
Storm Window Hardware Needed

I have the old wooden storm windows that attach by hangars at the top and open out from the bottom. I am looking for the hardware they used to use to hold the storm window open. They were some type of metal arms that were jointed to lock open in the summer and close in the winter. Does anyone know what they were called and where can I get them? Thank you.

goldhiller
Re: Storm Window Hardware Needed

If you have a local "old-fashioned" hardware store....check there cause they may have them. Don't bother with the big-boxes me thinks cause you're apt to get blank stares from glazed eyes.

Here's one source (although the prices on the hangars are ridculuous. I can buy the same here locally for 1/3rd or less the price) - http://www.vintagewoodwork.com/Hardware/Storm-and-Screen-Window-Hardware.htm

Google - storm window hardware - for more.

canuk
Re: Storm Window Hardware Needed
Quote:

(although the prices on the hangars are ridculuous. I can buy the same here locally for 1/3rd or less the price)

goldie ... remember those prices are CAD which would probably be about a third in USD :rolleyes::D

alexjac
Re: Storm Window Hardware Needed
tessaning wrote:

I have the old wooden storm windows that attach by hangars at the top and open out from the bottom. I am looking for the hardware they used to use to hold the storm window open. They were some type of metal arms that were jointed to lock open in the summer and close in the winter. Does anyone know what they were called and where can I get them? Thank you.

You can get it from nearest shop or manufacture. where are you from? so i can explain you in brief, where it'll be available.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Storm Window Hardware Needed
goldhiller
Re: Storm Window Hardware Needed
canuk wrote:

goldie ... remember those prices are CAD which would probably be about a third in USD :rolleyes::D

Well duh on me, eh? Not the first time and won't be the last either, I'm sure. ;)

Blue RidgeParkway
Re: Storm Window Hardware Needed

with oil prices back on track so is the loonie to dollar rate.

1.00 CAD is about 78 US cents (0.78 USD) today.:D

But you need not bother with exchange rates if zinc plated hardware will work for you; Stanley Brand hardware :

Stanley Hardware, Storm Sash Hanger Brackets (click on link): http://www.stanleyhardware.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HDW+SS+SASH+HARDWARE&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=364400&SDesc=Zinc+Plated%282C%29+Screen+Or+Storm+Sash+Hanger

Stanley Hardware, Storm Sash Adjuster Set (click on link):
http://www.stanleyhardware.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HDW+SS+SASH+HARDWARE&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=367040&SDesc=Zinc+Plated%282C%29+Sash+Adjuster+Set

peterandann11301
Re: Storm Window Hardware Needed

Hello Tessaning,

I recently got some "storm stays" from Smith Restoration Sash, try Googling them.

The hardware has two "arms" that hold the sash open and fold down against a small bracket that you screw onto the inner edge of the window. The stays work great! They're made of stainless steel.

Smith Restoration makes windows too and their site says this is the same hardware they use. They have a few other things available like pulleys and special "washers" to make it easy to adjust your stops if the windows are too tight.

I hope this helps!:)

Pete

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.