Home>Discussions>TOOLS & PRODUCTS>Squeaky floors repair drill bit
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Squeaky floors repair drill bit

I watched Ask This Old House the other night and they were fixing squeaky floors that were overlain by carpet. To find the joists, he hammered on the floor until it didn't sound hollow. No problem. Then he used a drill bit (he called it a "special tool") that had a very short length of cutting blades to go through the carpet and underlayment to locate the joist. Because the cutting blades were short and he could drive them all the way into the joist, he was able to distinguish between the joist and underlayment.

I am trying to locate the "special tool." What would it be called.

Also, I'm concerned about having the carpet fibers wrap around the drill bit. Any suggestions?


Re: Squeaky floors repair drill bit

I believe what you are looking for is called "Squeeeeek no more" kits you can get them at Homedepot http://www.homedepot.com/buy/squeeeeek-no-more-stops-floor-squeaks-from-above-the-floor-14074.html and most other hardware stores. There are two kits one for hardwood floors and one for carpeted floors.


Re: Squeaky floors repair drill bit

Thank you for your response.

I found the kit you mentioned without much effort. I was interested in the drill bit they used for locating the joist without unraveling the carpet. I finally located what I need at mcfeelys.com

It is called Squeeeeek No More® Replacement Joist Finding Screw. It looks like he cut the head off and used it as a drill bit.

We'll see if it works. I'll repost if it unravels the carpet, which I'll first test in an inconspicuous spot.

Other suggestions mentioned elsewhere on the web were duct tape and WD40. I didn't try these, but duct tape solves all home repair problems and is my Plan B.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.