4 posts / 0 new
Last post
jkjclark
sparks and flashes

We own a 90 or so year old house that has been extensively renovated. Since the renovation and rewiring, every time we turn on the ceiling fan, there are sparks at the switch and the lamp plugged into an outlet related to that switch also flashes on and off. The switch does not have a switch plate on it because none fits. It's too late to go back to the original contractor who has left the State. Several handymen have claimed to fix it, or that it isn't really anything to be concerned about. Is this dangerous? Is there a fix for this that doesn't involve going into the walls and rewiring?

Thanks

JLMCDANIEL
Re: sparks and flashes

Dwarfwytch pretty much said it. If you have sparks you have the potential for fire. Get someone who knows what he is doing.
Jack

canuk
Re: sparks and flashes

If there are sparks this is not a good thing.

Quote:

every time we turn on the ceiling fan, there are sparks at the switch and the lamp plugged into an outlet related to that switch also flashes on and off.

So... if I understand this correctly... the switch turns on the fan and an outlet ?

I'm wondering if that circuit isn't being double fed possibly at the outlet or some bizarre set up where the switch may be part of a three way set up.
You should get an electrician in to correct the issue.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: sparks and flashes

One other possibility is handymen have a tendency to use the stab connections on outlets and switches rather than the screws.
Jack

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.