Hi, Guys! My Old House was built in 1904 in rural central Illinois. It's a true brick home, and as with most in the area, was originally heated with a coal fired furnace from the basement with a brick chimney going up and through the roof.
In the upstairs bedroom, around the brick of the chimeny, the wall continues to look almost moldy and appears that water/condensation is somehow seeping through, but only up by the ceiling on the second floor. It's puching the paint away fromt he wall, and gets crumbly and almost moldy looking. I've inspected the roof, and re-flashed around the chimney, but it didn't help. I repair the interior wall every year, but each spring it's time to do it again, and I can't seem to figure out what's causing this.
The only thing feeding into the chimney now is the exhaust from my natural gas water heater. I could reroute this, if that's the problem. Should I cap my chimney? What's causing this? I've already hired 3 different contractors, all who said they could fix it, but a year later, the problem is right back to where it was. Is this mold? Do I have a health/safety concern? Thanks so much!!!