4 posts / 0 new
Last post
New Owner
Small Pond Removal

I recently moved into a home that has a small pond in the back yard. I want to remove the pond and return the yard to a natural & uncluttered setting. Can anyone give me some advice on how to cap the single water line that feeds the pond? Do I cap it and bury it, or do I have to remove the entire line? I have irrigation in the yard and don't want this project to interfere with that system. Also, I have electricity in the form of an outlet via a buried cable that the previous owner installed for the pump motor. I plan to leave it in place unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Thank You in advance!

A. Spruce
Re: Small Pond Removal

The water line can be capped and buried. The electrical can be left, however if you are returning the area to grass, you may want to rethink this. If the area will be flowerbed, then leaving it will likely be beneficial. If you do remove the outlet, then it would be wise to find it's source and pull the wires out completely, that way the outlet can be removed and the conduit cut off below the ground and forgotten.

As for filling in the hole, that should be as easy as pumping the water out on the lawn, removing the liner and backfilling the hole with soil. Word of caution - the soil will compact over time, so don't fill it level and overlay sod or seed. Within a month or so you'll have a serious depression in the area.

Moon Over My Hammy
Re: Small Pond Removal

You can't just cap it off in the yard at the pond, or bury a valve or hose bib. You would have to trace the plumbing system back to where the pipe connects to the supply system and cap it off or remove the T there and rework the piping straight at the source. Once you've done that, the rest of the piping out to the pond could be left in place as long as it isn't connected to anything, but if it is metal or conductive you'd want to make absolutely sure it isn't interconnected anywhere else as an electrical bonding system. Usually any electrical within a certain distance of a body of water like a fountain, pool, pond, and such is supposed to be bonded to a grid that anything metal in the zone is also bonded to that includes the water and rebar.

Uncirculating and unused water service pipes or water distribution pipes (capped off) are a harbor of disease and contamination to the rest of the plumbing distribution system.

Plumbing codes vary depending on location look for terms like "developed length" most plumbing codes restrict those lengths to less than five feet.

If the cable to the yard outlet doesn't have a ground it might not trip a circuit breaker if there is a short. It should be Class A GFCI protected and have a waterproof cover.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.