4 posts / 0 new
Last post
slow gas leak

Our house was built in 1900 and fitted with gas lighting fixtures. All but one are capped now, but there are still gas lines running to almost every room. The one remaining fixture has a charming look to it, but we've never found a bulb for it, and rarely I get a whiff of gas as I walk by it.
Also, my wife and I woke up at 2:00 this morning to the smell of gas in the bedroom. We turned off the gas to the whole house (luckily the weather warmed up just in time for this little crisis).
About a year and a half ago we hired a plumber to cut off the gas to the live gas lighting fixture. Unfortunately he took it upon himself to cut off and cap the first gas line he could find that wasn't headed toward the kitchen, hot water heater, or furnace. He said all the pipes off the main gas line were confusing.
So, with the background stated, here are my questions:
Do you have any tips on picking out a plumber to cut off gas to all non-vital lines? Is there a specialist outside of a plumber that I should use? Know anyone good in Pittsburgh?
Should the gas fixture be viewed as a positive, whether the gas is alive or dead? Or should we just cap that like everything else?

Thank you very much

W. Bob
Re: slow gas leak

Well your real problem is that the gas leak is comming from your wife. I suggest a cork or maybe a chainsaw and a shovel, it should do the trick.

Re: slow gas leak

It is truely a simply process. Physically follow the gas lines from each gas appliance back to the meter and mark them; hot water heater, stove, furnace etc. All other lines are excess and you can cap them off. If for some reason you find a tee as you are tracking the gas lines back to the meter - mark it and then cut off that side line, remove the nipple and cap it. If you are unsure how to cut an old gas line that has potential gas in it - call a plumber. If he knows what he is doing he will flood the active gas lines with an inert gas before cutting it.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.