Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>Slip joint 1.25" to 1.5" question
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
exranger06
Slip joint 1.25" to 1.5" question

I was fixing a sink drain yesterday. The tailpiece apparently separated itself from the p-trap, and I needed to re-attach it. I bought some new slip joint washers (I bought both 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" washers, since I wasn't sure which size the pipe was) However, I noticed neither of them quite worked right. I realized that the tailpiece was a 1 1/4" pipe, and the trap was 1 1/2" pipe, and there was no adaptor between them! The old washer was much thicker than the new replacement ones I bought, and is actually able to hold the two different size pipes together (for now, I guess).

Anyway, my question is: Is the old, thicker washer some kind of "adaptor washer" that is meant to join 1 1/4" to 1 1/2"? Is this a correct way of joining pipes, or did the person before me cobble this together and figured it would be ok? I have no idea how long these pipes were attached like this, but it obviously did eventually come apart, and doesn't seem correct.

johnjh2o
Re: Slip joint 1.25" to 1.5" question

The 1-1/2 x 1-1/4 washer is the common way the connection is made. Most traps come with that washer along with a 1-1/2 washer. That way the trap can be used on kitchen or lav.

dj1
Re: Slip joint 1.25" to 1.5" question

Let me just add this: this washer is easy to spot, it's fatter than the other ones.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.