I am in the process of re-painting our bathroom. Two of the walls are the original plaster and (surprisingly) in pretty good shape-unfortunately there are many many coates of old paint-not all of which wants to come off the walls. I have scraped about 30% off, but the remaining 70% wants to stay put. I know that I will need to skimcoat, but I'm unclear as to the best product to use as I will be applying to a surface that is partially plaster, partially paint, and as it's in a high moisture area, I worry about peeling, etc. down the road.
I've heard that I should use "hot mud", I've heard I should use joint compound, I've heard pre-mix, I've heard powder...as I've never done this before and will likely not want to do it again, could someone please suggest the best way to properly skimcoat these walls?