4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sinking Floors

My husband and I own an 1890's farmhouse. The floors have always been slanted, but we are concerned that they are getting much worse. I don't know where to begin with contacting someone for a service like this? What kind of engineer/contractor would have knowledge of structural issues in old homes. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Re: Sinking Floors

If the floor is sinking, you need to act a little faster.

Start with a few good general contractors with recommendations, have them come over and look at what you got. They will have the right contacts to call.

Re: Sinking Floors

If you have a basement, a general contractor will be able to spot the problem easily. You may need a few lally columns replaces and maybe some sistering of some joists and/or the ridge beam. The sooner you address this, the less it will cost to repair. Get a couple of opinions and estimates as they can vary widely.

If you have a small hardware store or building supply store that is not a part of a national chain, go there and ask for some recommendations.

Re: Sinking Floors

Be aware that if there has been any remodeling (in the past) without first leveling the house, you will probably have to live with the "new" stuff being out-of-level after you level the old stuff.

Ensuring that the house is plumb and level should be the first step in any remodeling project. If you don't do that, you'll never have a house where everything is plumb and level.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.