3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sinking crawl space foundation

I have a crawl space foundation on an inlaw apartment I had added on to my home that is sinking. The foundation has cracked and separated and the interior shows signs of sinking where a doorway is slanted so the door won't close and large cracks have appeared in several areas. I'm pretty sure that the apartment is sinking becuase of trees and brush being buried in the spot where the apartment is now, when I had the main house built. At the time, I didn't anticipate the need for an inlaw apartment. There is a lot more to this story but the bottom line is that I need to know the kind of professional company that could handle this type of problem. I went to Concrete Network.com as recommended by an engineer but they couldn't suggest a contractor doing work in the Rhode Island area. I would really apreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Re: Sinking crawl space foundation

You need a Foundation Repair company.
They will send a structural engineer to evaluate the problem, propose a solution and give you a quote. And many reputable companies will do it for free as well.

Problems such as the one you describe can be probably solved with minimal disruption in less than a day with a crawl space piering system.

Search the internet for crawl space piering and you are sure to find a company that offers the service in your area, as users are not allowed to post links to companies selling products in this forum. (or it would be infested with advertisement like so many other forums)

Feel free to email me if you want some more information or help locating companies.

Timothy Miller
Re: Sinking crawl space foundation

Consider mud jacking the foundation. That is pressure injected concrete under the footer. It will fill any voids rais the foundation back up and works. Is way cheper then most other reapirs too. Check yellow pages concretejacking

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.