Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>"Roughed-in plumbing" def.?
6 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Roughed-in plumbing" def.?

I recently had an addition put on my house and the contract was to complete it to an "unfinished" stage. I was to do all of the electrical, drywall, heat/ac, paint and trim myself.
Included in the construction contract was that the builder was to "rough-in plumbing" for a bathroom under a staircase. What he did do was to install a PVC pipe drain and a vent into the concrete slab that was poured as the floor. The drain goes down into my basement (which in next to [and below] the addition, not directly underneath) and just protudes about 12inches out of the wall. It is NOT connected to anything.
He also drilled 2 holes to allow the hot and cold pipes access to the water line, but did not connect these either. In fact, there are NO pipes at all other than the drain and vent. And the drain is not hooked up to my main.

Now that I have completed all of the other project, all there is to do is complete the bathroom. I have had estimates to finish the job as high as $2400.00. Every plumber who came by said that this did not meet their understanding of "roughed-in plumbing". They said that it should include the drains be hooked up to the main and the water lines be hooked up and capped.

Is there an industry standard for what this term really means and what a customer should expect when getting quotes? Do I have a legal right to get my contractor to honor the "rough-in" plumbing up to a certain level of completion?

Thank you. Any information would help.

A. Spruce
Re: "Roughed-in plumbing" def.?

"Rough-in" is having all supply lines stubbed out of wall (regardless of wall condition, i.e., if it has a finished surface, is repaired, or bare framing) and all drains will be connected to existing waste lines and capped outside of "finished" surfaces, meaning that wall drains will protrude several inches with a cap, floor drains will be brought up the the intended finished floor surface height and capped accordingly.

You are not legally responsible to relinquish final payment until the contract is fulfilled, as a matter of fact, it will be your only bargaining chip to make sure the work is completed at no extra expense to yourself.

Re: "Roughed-in plumbing" def.?

Thanks! That is what the plumbers who gave the estimates said as well.

Unfortunately, I did not know this at the time and there were a few other incomplete issuies that I was focusing my attention on. He told me flat out that this is what "rough-in" meant. Bottom line, he has already been paid in full.

I have a phone call in to the contractor with the hope that he will either "finish" the job as per our contract, or refund some of the money to off-set the completion cost.

My contract clearly states "rough-in" plumbing. And I still need to have many things inspected by the local township and the "rough-in" plumbing has it's own specified requirements listed in order to pass (test drainage and supply lines, connection to main inspected by water authority, etc.). Is there any chance of a legal recourse if he fails to act?

To be honest, I will be surprised if I even hear back from him at all, but I am willing to put forth a great effort to have things put right!

Thanks again!

Re: "Roughed-in plumbing" def.?

You say the contract says "rough-in plumbing" that does not mean provide a path for plumbing. That would be as A.Spruce described and as told to you by the plumbers. He took on the job and should be responsible to make sure it passes inspection. If he won't return your call or refund part of the money, consider taking him to small claims court and suing for the $2400 necessary to do the rough-ins.

Re: "Roughed-in plumbing" def.?

I do not want to give you a page summary on the definition. to make it very simple some states allow you to do your own plumbing or electrical in your own home. All inspections require at least a roughin inspection(before insullation and dry wall) and a final inspection after all work is completed.These inspections would be the same if a contractor or a home owner has done the work. If you call the local inspection office and ask what a rough in inspection requires. In my opinion it would be all piping waste and drain lines, and water piping hot and cold stubbed out of the wall and or floors.
If he is a liscensed contractor and he refuses to do the work report him to his board that he must apply to.
By the way small claims court would allow you to collect all court fees.
simple and sweet answer:D

Re: "Roughed-in plumbing" def.?

I Agree with A.Spruce and Ravens53. A rough in ins every thing under the floor and in the walls and it must be inspected before it is concealed. You should be able to conceal the plumbing, Set collars and stops and set the fixtures and trim. Our authority forces us to even have the escutcheons stops and trap adapters on and capped but we don't have to set the closet colar for futures. I don't see any courts letting that guy dance around citing punctuation :eek: If so that is NO COUNT low down and sorry. Of course I've seen some plumbers get away with things that others don't. We have a bunch of good ole boy backslappin going on around here. You can sue or pay the other plumbers or both and I wouldn't want that guy around my house anymore if I were you. From your post it sounds like your contractor is shady too. :mad: You should sue. They both burned you. Drag 'em through court till all the pieces fall off.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.