Home>Discussions>TV>Ask This Old House>Roofs: House 3.6818 slope and addition to be put on 4/12 slope ???
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
gregdrammen
Roofs: House 3.6818 slope and addition to be put on 4/12 slope ???
gregdrammen

I have a bilevel or so called raised ranch house. I'm adding a 14' x 20' addition, the 20' being parallel to the house.

The house has a 3.6818 slope, and I'm looking at adding 4/12 slope roof scissor rafters for a vaulted ceiling look.

Question #1:
What if any problems will i have merging the two roof slopes together at the house. I realize I'll have to cut back the soffits, fascia to attach properly most likely.

Question 2:
Would i be better off to have matching 3.6818 slope rafters made? Or is not that big of a deal? I realize a 5 or 6/12 pitch may make it more difficult.

Any ideas for help before I start ordering components in April May depending on the weather. I have Tamko Steel shingles, and will do the same to match on addition, so snow, etc. in valleys will not be a problem in Wisconsin.

thanks greg

ed21
Re: Roofs: House 3.6818 slope and addition to be put on 4/12 slope ???
ed21

I would try to match the slopes if you want the roof line to match. Another thing to consider is the seat height of the truss so the top chord matches the existing roof. This is likely needed to be handled by the height of the wall the truss sets on so the top matches. Matching the slopes will help with the fascia too. The truss tails can be ordered to match.

dj1
dj1

Any addition that doesn't match the existing house, will be forever recognized as an addition. For me, matching the new to the old exactly, is important.

If you have a 3.249/12 slope right now, do the addition the same way.

1. If the slopes match, attaching the new is a breeze. Your approved plans should have the attaching details. The building inspector will want to see these details implemented.

2. You already know my answer to this question.

Send pics.

gregdrammen
gregdrammen

Thanks for your great advice, it is what I was thinking, but wanted some verification.

I've done alot of building with my brotherinlaws, but this is new ground for me. Thanks again for all your advice, greatly appreciated.

greg

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.