Home>Discussions>KITCHENS>Reversing Cabinet Panels
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Reversing Cabinet Panels

Two yrs ago I installed about 10 linear ft of cabinets purchased form a local home improvement center. They come close to matching our old ones but the new ones have raised panels. My wife and I would like to reverse the panels on the new doors to match the flat panels of our older ones. Any suggestions?


A. Spruce
Re: Reversing Cabinet Panels

About the only thing you'll likely be able to do is to cut the lip off the back of the door that holds the panel in place. You'll have to cut three sides.

Assuming that you've got actual raised panels and not faux panels, the picture below will help explain. If you've got faux panels, you're stuck with what you've got. The image on the left is the stile (vertical piece ), the image on the right is the rail (horizontal piece ) of the frame. That 1/4" x 3/8" groove is what the panel rests in. Looking at the left image, you would need to remove the 1/8" x 3/8" portion below the groove to free the panel from at least three sides of the door. After the panel is flipped, you can cut wooden tabs with screws or use mirror clips to hold the panel in place.

Re: Reversing Cabinet Panels

What a great idea! I thought I was going to have to try and disassemble the rails and stiles. Cutting that 3/8" strip makes much more sense.

A. Spruce
Re: Reversing Cabinet Panels

Getting the rails/stiles apart would be an excersize in futility. That is a glued joint and there's no way it will come apart. The only option is cutting the back out.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.