2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Restoring Scuffed Up Wood Floor

Hi Everyone,

I'm renting a bedroom in a community house. In my bedroom, I have wood flooring. Upon moving in, I put down one of those plastic squares that typically lies on carpeting, so that my computer chair can roll around on it freely and without doing damage. However, I didn't realize that the plastic points under the square (to hold it in place on carpeting) was basically digging holes into the wood flooring.

I'm wanting to move soon, but I need to come up with a cheap way to fill in the holes, cover the scrapes, and paint it the same color as the rest of the floor. Got any ideas? Where would I even look, store-wise?

I don't know the name of the wood or the color of the original paint. I can email photos of the floor, if you want.

Thanks!! :o)

Re: Restoring Scuffed Up Wood Floor

Go to a Home Depot or Lowes and look at the wood patch materials that they sell. You said you're going to paint the floor but from the picture, it looks like it may be stained, not painted. Find a patching material that will take stain. It'll say so on the label. It won't match perfectly but may work for your situation. As far as color, you could take a picture of it and take it to the home store and match it to the samples that they show. Once you've patched and stained the floor area, you may need to put some varnish or other finish, to match the rest of the floor. That'll be a little hit and miss too but you could start with one of the floor finishes that they sell and see how it works for you.

Good Luck.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.