2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Replacing wall paper with ?

My old house cira 1900 has wooden plank walls. We want to replace the old wall paper and tack cloth with something better. What ever we use I think we will have a problem with door faces. If we put wallboard on it will need to run under the face and then it is going to show. Do I have to replace the jams with wider ones to solve this problem?

Re: Replacing wall paper with ?

Leave the jambs alone, just use 1/4" sheetrock and you might have to play around with some moulding around the jambs to even up the surfaces to look good.

In a house that old, the jambs are just as valuable as some of the other architectural finishes so you don't want to lose that value. The 1/4" drywall doesn't smooth out humps and bumps in your substrate, as well as 1/2" but assuming yours isn't too bumpy, try it.

I'd take a piece of 1/4" wood and lay it up next to the jamb and see what the joint looks like, then get creative with what other shaped piece of wood you could use to close the gap. You might have to cut something down but even a piece of wood 1/2" by 1/2" square could be considered moulding, depending on the use. It doesn't have to be carved and curvy to be moulding.

Good Luck.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.